General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 Accord new distributor installed and now no start

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 01:11 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation 1990 Accord new distributor installed and now no start

my 90 accord ex i installed a new distributor because my old one was leaking badly, and before i installed the new distributor the car was running perfect. after i installed the new distributor and checked my firing order i tried to start it and it wont start. and it doesnt make the same sound that it usually does when it cranks. i cant describe it really but im stuck im not sure what to do.

any suggestions would be great!

thank you

Old 01-05-2011, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Check the blade that engages the camshaft - backwards? Did the rotor face the same way when you installed it?

That blade is a bit off-center, but I've heard it's possible to put it in backwards if you press hard enough.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Newest Of Newbies

oh okay i will check on that because it was a little difficult to put on. ill get onto that asap but the teeth went in fine

Old 01-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Spark plug wiring order should be again checked carefully to be sure your wires to new distributor installed correctly. If you don't have a manual, you should get one. Check downloads from this site or purchase a manual.

If you confirm spark plug wires are attached to distributor correctly, then it's likely you installed distributor 180 deg. off. It is not hard to do, as I can attest. You have to look closely when installing to be sure the distributor is completely flush w/ cylinder head mating surface at all locations. If installed incorrectly there will be a gap somewhere.

Unfortunately, if you installed upside down, you may have damaged the distributor. Reinstall correctly and check for performance.

One final possibility is you were sold a defective distributor. If you confirm no spark to plugs. A timing light test is best to check sprark. Attach pickup to spark plug lead and turn engine over, no flash = no spark.

good luck