General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 Accord Oil Light

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Default 1990 Accord Oil Light

I have an old 1990 Accord 2.2L Automatic with Sport mode. It is my sons so, I rarely drive it. I got in it the other day and the oil light came on faintly at first and then full on. I stopped the car, checked the oil, and found it had been overfilled. I thought maybe that was causing the oil light to light up, so I did an oil change to get the oil level down to normal levels. I didn't notice any radiator fluid in the oil. I think I recall my son telling me the light started coming on. I told him to check the oil and put some oil in it. I think he just put oil in it without checking the level. (I believe this is why it had a high oil level)

After the change, the oil light still lights up. My son has been driving it normally for probably 2 months this way before I realized what was going on (I know, I know you're supposed to pull over right away and not drive until diagnosed and repaired). All that aside, since he's been driving it essentially with no problems other than the light staying lit, can it just be a problem with the switch? What else could cause the light to light up and the engine not seize while driving it normally even though the light is on? The car starts immediately and seems to idle fine for the most part. I have noticed some surging sometimes while idling, but usually it idles fine. Also, the Sport light flashes occasionally. This car really needs a lot of work, but it's paid for and I want it to last him through at least high school, and possibly college provided he stays close to home Any help or suggestions would be extremely helpful. Please keep the scolding to a minimum about running it with the oil light on.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Check the wire to the OP switch, if good then I would replace the switch.

While you have it, check the coolant level, clean the tb.

Check the codes (flashing sport light), look in the Common DIY Threads for a how to.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:01 PM

Yes, the oil light was the pressure switch. I replaced it and the light went out. I'll look into the DIY and get the codes on the flashing Sports light.

Thanks for your help!

Old 02-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Cool, one down.......I only threw out the replacement as it is a ~$10 item and the testing to confirm is, well way more than that IMO.

Let us know what the cades from the D/S light are.