General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 honda accord died while driving and i had to walk home

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:59 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1990 honda accord died while driving and i had to walk home

it tries to turn over but wont start. im a girl and know very little about cars. I just recently bought it from jjs towing and had to replace the battery and then the alternator. A friend told me I need new motor mounts but haven't done that yet. now my car is parked at the store with bad tags(I have the temporary registration month 5 in the window). HELP ASAP I DONT WANT MY CAR TO GET TOWED!

Old 06-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

When you turn the key to start the car, does the starter spin the engine at the normal speed? Or will the engine not fire up (this is the point where the engine is running, and you release the key).

Old 06-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Not fire up

Old 06-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, there are a few simple things you can try.

Listen for the fuel pump to turn on. Turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. The check engine light (CEL) should turn on for about two seconds to check the bulb. When the CEL is turned on, the fuel pump should turn on for about two seconds. It makes a faint buzzing/whirling sound from the back seat, so turn off the radio, blower, etc... and listen carefully. You may have to have a friend turn on the key and listen at the gas cap with the gas cap removed.

Does the check engine light turn on, then off? Or does the check engine light remain turned on?

You can check for engine codes. It is really simple to do. Read this thread: https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...l-codes-35962/

Worn motor mounts will not cause the car not to start out.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies

YES fuel pump turns on...yes the check engine light turns on then off...I listened to the beeps and I got 6 long beeps or 5 long and 1 short...but I think 6 long beeps is right. so where can I look to find out what 6 long beeps means? oops I am supposed to look for flashing lights, not listen for beeps...I think.... I just re-read your link---now when I turn key into II position besides the check engine light turning on then off, nothing else flashes. now what do I do...thank u for being patient and helping me

Last edited by Kristen Kallos Sager; 06-12-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Read the instructions again for checking the error codes. You find a connector under the dash & jumper the wires with a paperclip or little piece of wire. THEN you turn on the key & watch the lights flash.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

When I tried to start it again- it wasn't even turning over and barely turning on. This is the same thing that happened that caused me to get a "new" used battery and alternator a few weeks ago. I guess my alternator was bad and I killed my battery in the process. I took it to a shop that sold me a used battery with 90 day warranty and then a reconditioned alternator with a year warranty. So thinking this happened again, today I took my battery to oreileys and they said it was bad. I took my battery back to the shop and they gave me a different one. I still think it is the alternator again. Tomorrow I will connect the battery and if it starts I will hurry and get to the shop and have them replace the alternator again. If it doesn't start, I will try the paper clip thingy. Oh new piece of information for u- when I opened the hood to take out the battery, one of those spark pluggy things the black rubber circles on the engine with tubes at the end- it was completely out of the engine. Could it have done it by itself like shot out of the engine, or possibly someone tampered with it? im not getting along with the neighbor.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:16 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I connected the battery and it didn't start. So i will research those pages u guys directed me to tonight and do the paper clip thing tomorrow. Maybe someone was tampering with my car becuz another 1990 honda accord parks in the stall next to me was just stolen last night.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

So did you put the spark plug wire back in/on?

Old 06-16-2013, 01:44 AM
Newest Of Newbies

YES I put it back in-hahahahahah I guess I AM sounding THAT unknowledgeable. But I was finally able to read a little more and will jumper the wires tomorrow and get to u.

Quick Reply: 1990 honda accord died while driving and i had to walk home