General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1990 Honda Accord DX fuel gauge problem

Old 07-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Default 1990 Honda Accord DX fuel gauge problem

Okay, My fuel gauge used to act weird. If I put say 35 dollars in gas, it would move up to near the Full line. The low fuel light use to come on when the needle was maybe 2 millimeters from the Empty line. Then the low fuel light started to come on when the needle looked like it was about a quarter of a tank full. Now the needle seems to be stuck and/or barely moving up and down maybe a couple millimeters above the half a tank line. I read from this mechanic online that usually the Accord fuel sending units are not that common a part to fail on Honda's. I am thinking about taking it to this shop I pay to diagnose problems for me, but wish I could just replace the gas gauge with one from salvage so I wouldn't have to pay a shop to diagnose whether it's the gas gauge or the fuel sending unit. Isn't it hard to replace the gas gauge? Has anyone had this problem.

Old 07-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator

There is an access cover in the trunk of your car near the back seat.

I would remove that access plate to check the electrical connector. There is also a ground nearby (either under that plate, or near the plate on the outside) that you should unbolt, clean with a wire brush or some sandpaper, then rebolt.

It is worth a shot.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
There is an access cover in the trunk of your car near the back seat.

I would remove that access plate to check the electrical connector. There is also a ground nearby (either under that plate, or near the plate on the outside) that you should unbolt, clean with a wire brush or some sandpaper, then rebolt.

It is worth a shot.
Awesome! Thanks for letting me know this PAhonda. Oh yeah, when I check the electrical connector, am I checking to see that it isn't loose?

I will give it a shot. I'll let you know what happens after I try.

Old 07-16-2012, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Yes check how loose it is also if and dirt is in there.

To add, the fuel level sender is on the right pass side.