General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 Accord Strange Electrical ISSUE!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 04:16 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Fuse Pulled

I pulled the fuse that was for the Interior Lighting which is in the main box under the hood. It was a 15amp fuse. Do I need the the ignition on when I am checking? And the voltmeter set to amps? Then I start unplugging components in that circuit? I just wanted to verify.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

The ignition switch should be off to mimic the battery draw when the car is turned off. Set volt meter to amps and put on the two contacts of the fuse. Start unplugging stuff until you see a drop in current.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Update

So after checking all fuses for an amp draw, they all read 0. I had planned to just take a to a mechanic friend to take a look at it, so I plugged everything back in including the gauge cluster and noticed that now the fuel gauge is pegged on full, temp gauge is on cold and wont move even after driving it for a while. All door ajar lights on still, and the odometer doesn't work now. The cooling fan doesn't come on either. I replaced the radiator and temp sending unit as well. I am so frustrated. The only thing I can think of is the gauge cluster is bad. Could a bad ground or shorted wire be causing all those problems? Like I said before there is a burn mark on the back of the circuit board of the gauges, but I don't want to waste more $ on a gauge cluster and it not fix these problems.

Any ideas.

Old 11-21-2011, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

I hate to have you throw money at your car, but it does sound like the board of the cluster is not working with all of these problems. It is possible that a loose or corroded ground the the culprit.

I would suggest getting a 91 shop manual. Look around on ebay for people selling them as a pdf to show the ground locations. They are usually pretty cheap. The online shop manuals link in the common diy thread has links to sites where you can download a shop manual for free. The free 91 shop manual is hard to navigate, IMO.

Also, find a u-pull-it place that has accords. A gauge cluster should be pretty cheap. You may want to transfer your odometer, so it is accurate.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Used gauge cluster

So I found a used gauge cluster for $25 and plugged it in. It fixed the door/trunk ajar lights, an maybe the fuel and temp. not sure until I run the car for awhile. now if the ignition is on and the door is open the dummy beeper is going and the check engine light and the oil pressure light seem to flash in conjunction with the beeper. After stating the car up the oil pressure light stays on and the check engine light will go dim, but stays on. Also turning the headlights and brights on turns the right turn signal light on the dash solid-on.

Any Ideas???

Old 11-21-2011, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

I would probably clean every ground that you can find inside and outside of your car. This is where a shop manual will help, because it shows the locations of all of the grounds. Some will be easier to access than others.

By cleaning, I mean sanding (or small wire brush) on the bolt and washer, plus the eyelet or bracket that bolts to the metal frame or subframe.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Talking problem soved!!!

I took the gauge cluster that I bought and swapped the circuit board from it over to my gauge cluster. All light work properly and no issues to report.

Thanks for all your advice.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you got it worked out.