General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 Honda Accord DX (2door 4cyl) Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Question 1991 Honda Accord DX (2door 4cyl) Problem

ENGINE DIES WHEN GIVEN THE GAS
IDLES FINE @ IDLE OR REVVED UP TO 1,500 RPM
ENGINE IDLES FINE AT 2,000 RPM'S
ENGINE DIES IF GIVEN A QUICK PUNCH ABOVE 2,000 RPMs
CANNOT DRIVE, ENGINE WILL DIE

note: The humidity today has been at 82%.

Hi guys,

I got a problem here with my wife's car and was wondering if someone could help me find the problem? I will try and explain in detail what is going on. It's pretty simple as to what's happening.

3 months ago, I noticed when coming to a red light or a stop sign, the car would idle perfectly then dip a bit. It would dip in RPM's like it was drowning then go back up and be ok. Well, I payed no further attention cause the car still ran fine. Then yesterday my wife headed off to work and came back to the house really quick. I asked here what's wrong? She said, " The car keeps dieing on me".

I checked it out and this is whats happening:

The car will sit and idle ok. well, it still has that little dip in RPM's but doesn't die at that point. I rev the car up to about 1,500 RPM's and leave it there and nothing happens. But, when I bring it back to idle, right at about 800 RPM's and REV it quicly back up higher than 2,000 RPM's The yellow engine light comes on and the car dies. It dies like it just simply ran out of gas. But it has gas. It will crank right back up with no problem.

If I put it in drive and go real slow its ok, but when I give it the gas it accelerates then yellow engine light comes on again the engine quickly dies. Pushing on the gas does not revive the engine from cutting off at this point.

But, if I crank it back up and let it sit and idle, it idles fine. So, my question is this. What could be causing this? I'm thinking either, fuel pump, fuel filter, oxygen sensor or some type of sensor? I could be wrong though.

Oh, I did let the car rest for 2 hours with battery + and - disconnected. Cranked it back up and I'm getting 6 beep codes. They are six beeps only, no long tones at all.

What does the six beeps mean? The beeps are coming from under the passenger side seat

Your help would be appreciated.

The car has about 148,000 miles and has been well taken care of. The last repairs we had done was replacing both CVC joints at about $350 bucks. I also had to take out the MAIN RELAY and re-sawder the contact points on the computer circuit board because it was having starting problems in hot or humid weather. Car has been running fine for about 2 months after these repairs until now, the engine light comes on and the engine dies.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

The 91 accord doesn't beep any trouble codes that I know of. It is probably some warning for the seat belt.

Your check engine light is turning on, so you need to get the error codes. If you haven't started then stalled the car since you disconnected the battery, get the car to stall again.

All you need to get the codes is a thin paperclip or a piece of wire. There is a blue two-pin connector behind the passenger's kick panel. Short the connector, turn the key to the II position, and count the check engine light blinks. A long blink=10, short =1, so LLLS=41.

See this link for pics. techautorepairs.com/dtc.html

Old 06-06-2010, 08:29 PM

Thanks PAhonda,

I will do this. And your right, I unplugged both of seat belts. I also looked under the passenger side seat, there behold the seat belt box thingy.

vynum