General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1991 Honda Accord EX Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Sliom001
Unregistered
Default 1991 Honda Accord EX Rough Idle

1991 Honda Accord EX with 180,000 miles. Has been running great and well maintained. I went on a 540 mile trip, and when I arrived at my destination, the car would either not idle or idles very roughly. Car seems to run fin over 2000 RPMs but runs rough under 2000. The return trip was fine on the highway, and gas mileage appears to be normal. When I got home, I replaced the distributor cap and rotor and replaced the plug wires, but this did not help at all. Now the car will idle but very rough and the idle seems to jump between 500 RPMs and 800 RPMs. Even at 800 RPMs it idles very rough. Power seems to be okay. I did reset the ECU, but that made no difference. Any input or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really like this car and it has been running great since I bought it, and would really like to resolve this rough idle problem myself if at all possible. Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

Old 12-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Administrator
Default RE: 1991 Honda Accord EX Rough Idle

Hi Dave..

I would venture to say that seeing as this happens on idle only that you have a VACUME leakage or a Air filter clogged or EGR vale leaking and dirty and maybe a Fuel Pump not delivering enough fuel to the fule injecters..

WheelBrokerAng.......Hope this Helped You Out...[sm=shades.gif]

Old 12-06-2005, 11:50 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 1991 Honda Accord EX Rough Idle

make sure at idle each plug is firing properly and each fuel injector is operating,, put a screwdriver on each injector and on your ear and listen to it for clicking noise ... also chk the pcv valve make sure it is not leaking,, get some pliers and squeeze the hose if idle smooths , replace the valve,,

Old 03-29-2011, 12:15 AM

This is my problem... I have been driving all day in my honda but at the end of the day when I put it in park.. it starts to idle... Then the next day it goes back to normal... What do you guys think is the most comet problem...? Please help I am a newbie... When it comes to cars....

Old 03-29-2011, 03:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies

had a similer idle issue with my 91 accord.. turned out to be a vary dirt valve atatched to the front of the intake ... belive its called a HIC valve, when standing at front of car its mounted on the intake right in the middle held on by 2 screws and has two bypass hoses atatched to it one on ither side at the bottom... after unbolting it there are two round ports on the back one has a screen on it that tends to get vary dirty and cloged can be cleaned with throdle boddy cleaner then blow it out with an air compressor or let thuroly dry befor reatatching .... usealy when its malfunctioning it causes the car to idle up and down sparaticaly ..

Old 03-29-2011, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

King Dragon,
First thing would be to tell us whether this is a 72 Pinto, 77 Accord, or 2011 Accord?? They're not all exactly the same.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:09 AM

Any chance you experienced heavy rain before these symtems . You say you replaced wires.Check cap and rotor for moisture and replace spark plugs. I hate to have you spend money without a diffinitive fix, but the spark plugs are something regularly needed. make sure you air filter is dry also.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:20 AM

Hey is the hic valve the same as the egr valve...on a 91 honda accord lx stwg...?

Old 03-31-2011, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

In this picture, #7 is the fast-idle valve (FITV) & #13 is the idle-control valve (IACV). Not sure what gibs is calling the HIC valve, maybe he means #13.

The EGR valve is #17 in this next picture.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:47 AM
Default please help

To: jim thanks for the picture... Now I know what I am working with.... I was breaking my head trying to find that other valve.... I cleaned the egr valve but it is still doing it... Do you think I should do the same to the other valve.... Fitv and the aicv...? Please let me know what to do in step by step And once again thanks...

Last edited by King Dragon; 04-09-2011 at 09:18 PM. Reason: needed more help

Quick Reply: 1991 Honda Accord EX Rough Idle