General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 honda accord ex will not engage out of park

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 07:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Angry 1991 honda accord ex will not engage out of park

If anyone has had this problem and knows of a fix. Not only will the car not shift out of park but the sport mode light is on. If i turn the ignition key to the position of when all the dash lights come on i can sometimes take it out of park. The last time the sport light came on it rained pretty hard the night before and i unhooked the battery and it when off. Last night was the same it rained hard and the humidity was pretty high. Coming from having a older Audi with electric problems i know what kind of problems the wet weather can

Old 11-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

How about the brake interlock? Do your brake lamps work? If the brake-pedal switch doesn't work (sometimes) that'll lock it in park.

Look for a post about reading error codes - the Sport lamp indicates the transmission controller has an error.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Not much to go on? Trust me I don't like guessing and when I do I admit it...hint

First, when it does not come out of park, I assume it does start up just won't come out of park? Does the shifter come out of park if you insert the ket into the "release" next to the shifter? If so will it start in Neutral and run fine. Next, have you looked for stored codes, if so what are they? Pulling the cables is one way of resetting the ECU/TCU.

It will take a minute to get to the theory. The brake switch "unlocks" the interlock switch, which lets you shift out of park. Older gen accords have sometimes had an issue with water getting into the tail lights, happen to have any? If so is there a chance that the water is getting in there and causing a short (should be a fuse-underhood and inside the car- but I've seen strange things before) or loss of connection,,,,meaning the interlock is not releasing.

EDIT: Sorry, too slow in typing, watching TV...please follow Jim's advise.

Last edited by poorman212; 11-17-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Red face

the car does start fine..and unfortunately there does seem to be alittle water that comes into the trunk somehow. Last night while driving home when i pressed the brake i heard a clicking noise that sounded like it was coming from the glove box. And i can disengage the shifter when i put a spare key in the shifter release. All the brake lights work do you think this wouldve tripped the TCU for some reason?

Old 11-17-2010, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

The S light turning on means the transmission computer detected a problem and stored a code. Follow the instruction on how to get CEL codes in the DIY section and count the S light flashes. You can also repeat for the check engine light flashes (if there are any). Post any code you find on here.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:27 AM
Newest Of Newbies

heres the thing though...me trying to get codes from this thing....i would have no clue. I bought it as a winter car only but it only has 75,000 miles on it so i might be selling it when spring comes. Now would anything other than the transmission set off a code and make the sport mode light stay on? And i still need this car to get to and from work so will driving it while in sport mode hurt anything if driving it like for a week.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:16 AM
Newest Of Newbies

drove the car today to the parts store, the sport mode light was off but car still wasnt shifting thru gears it only had 2nd and 3rd when shifting manually. Im presently in the process of taking out the TCU and opening it up to see if there are any burnt parts. Also the car since ive bought it revs into the 1500 rpm range during start up and takes about 4 minutes to get back down to 750 800 rpm could that have triggered something in the tranny. this is my first automatic car and now i know why i dont buy them
thanks

Old 11-18-2010, 09:48 AM
Newest Of Newbies

i just pulled the TCU and opened it up and i didnt see any burnt capacitors it was actually surprisingly very clean. So what should i be looking at next?

Old 11-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

If you are capable of removing the TCU and checking for burned parts of the board, you are definitely capable of getting the TCU codes. Read the how to get CEL codes in the DIY section.

In less than 10 minutes you can have an idea of the problem with your car.

Old 11-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So im thinking it either the transmission shift solenoid(s) or VSS plus im gonna need a brake pedal switch. I drove the car earlier today and the sport mode light came on for a few then went off but the car only has 2nd and 3rd gear. And i also noticed today that it has become very hard to put the car into park

Quick Reply: 1991 honda accord ex will not engage out of park