General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1991 Honda accord Heater/ac switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by NY_Pito_NY
I have new electrical problem with the window motors. They work intermittently. It works when it wants to. Should we go from here or start a new thread post?
I say keep it here.

Also was that fuse tap the one you ordered from China???

If so it came in handy after all

Old 05-26-2012, 03:46 AM

No I did not use the china fuse. I bought a fuse at auto parts store for $6. Poorman how do we tackle the window problem?

Old 05-26-2012, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

First, hard to fix things when they work.....meaning you can only test when they are not working.

When they act up, is it all of the windows or "a window"? If it is one, which one.

With the other electrical issues, the pin that is missing power to the blower relay comes from the under hood fuse panel.....which is the same panel that should have the fuses for the windows.....hummm.

Anyway, key on- four wires should be hot. WHT/YEL, BLU/BLK, GRN/BLK and YEL/BLK. Of course the BLK (two I think) should have good ground.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:42 PM

First of all it not the fuses...and yes its all windows

Old 05-27-2012, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Agree on the fuses, I'm just wondering if something is up with the underhood fuse panel. There are connections under and inside of it that might be bad.

You can also check the BLK wires to be sure they have good ground - or add another ground.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:57 PM

OK this is what I got .... the relay for the power windows is is located in the u/h fuse box and it clicks when I move it. I tested the front pass door while wide open...click no power...I press down on the relay hard and click and the flipping the switch I have power. I let go...no power. That what I have to do yesterday...it was hot in NY. My wife went to work...I will have to stop her off to play with the car tomorrow. What do you think may be the problem. I had a new relay and tried it..same result. So its not the relay...

Old 10-08-2012, 03:27 PM

Ok ....im back guys...now i got no heat in my 1991 accord dx...wtf..blower is working fine...no heat blowing out of the vents

Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

How have you been? I guess good since we haven't seen you in a while

Anyway, a few things to check......

1) Have someone turn the heat **** from hot to cold as you watch the cable on the heater control valve.....is the cable moving?
1a, if not-pull the **** and be sure the shaft is not broken. If not broken check the cable movement from the pass side floor board......look up the blend door adjustment in the manual.
1b, is the cable on the heater control valve is moving. Check the temp on the hoses before and after the heater control valve (they can and do fail inside). If the temp on the engine side is hot and not on the heater core side then suspect a bad valve.
1c, if the temp on the hoses into and out of the heater control valve are the same. Compare those to the outlet hose from the valve.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:34 PM

Ok will check the cable tomorrow

Old 10-09-2012, 05:56 PM
Super Moderator

Forgot one piece of info last night. The heater control valve is connected to the **** inside the car by two cables.

One from the **** to the blend door lever - found by looking under the glove box. The other goes from the blend door lever to the actual valve under the hood. If you have downloaded the shop manual you can find the procedure for the "blend door adjustment" and will see this set up....again just adding what I forgot last night - Getting old sucks

Quick Reply: 1991 Honda accord Heater/ac switch problem