General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 accord idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Default 1992 accord idle issue

hey y'all. For some reason, my former post on my issues has been deleted so I have to continue with a new post.

First I want to say thanks for the ones that gave me wonderful advice. I was having a problem with the surging idle when cold on here, and the advice given was to clean out the fitv I think it was called. Anyway, I took the 2 screws off the top, I unscrewed the big white plastic part and took out the spring. I cleaned it all with carb cleaner and when Iput the white plastic piece back in, I tightened it all the way down. My problem was gone. It wasn't that dirty, so I am guessing maybe the white plastic thing was not tight enough. It is fixed and no more reving or eratic idle when cold. THANKS AGAIN!!

The only issue I have now is the car idles at 1k rpm's when warmed up. It doesnt bother me too much, however I know it should be idleing at 750. I have looked on the site but cannot find how I would make this change. Is having it stay at 1k a bad thing? If I should change it back down to the 750 normal idle, please let me know how.

Thanks again guys!

Craig

Old 10-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

1K sounds kinda high, somethings going on for sure. IIRC, 600-900 are good/ok idles, anything below and above that, somethings goin on and kinda iffy. Not sure though. Wish I could help, but I started on this forums took look for repair guides/walkthrough/advice for my mom's 2k1 accord.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Search for my posts about setting BASE idle. I've written it a few times.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:05 PM
Newest Of Newbies

^^ nice. I'll be checking on that sometime this week.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:06 PM

***UPDATE***

I am learning so much from my shop manual and you all on here. Thanks so much.

I followed the instructions for the base idle thing. The idle did not go down that much when I unplugged the IACV. I turned the idle screw till the idle was at 550. I turned the car off, plugged the IACV back in, and then unplugged the fuse for the ecu for a few seconds, then plugged it back in. I started the car up and.........the regular idle was still at 1k rpm. So when the car was running, I adjusted the idle screw till the idle went to down to 750. It is staying on 750 where it should be now and runs beautiful.

Till next time, thank you guys so much!!

Old 10-19-2010, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

Badczech,
That all sounded good until I got to the part where it was still idling high & you adjusted it down again. That sounds like your IACV isn't working right. Maybe dirty & sticking? You shouldn't have to do that last part.

If it's working, then good. But Akkord2k1 you should try it without that last adjustment, to see if yours works the proper way.

Old 10-19-2010, 09:35 AM

JIM,

We had already cleaned out the IACV and all seems well with that. Nothing had changed after cleaning it so that is when we went to cleaning that next part to the right of that. By cleaning that, it made the irratic idle go away. This is when I did what I did per my last post. You are the expert, and I am just new to this mechanical stuff, but if the car when cold starting is normal, then it now idles down to the normal rpm's, isn't that ok even if I had to adjust the idle screw just a little? I am used to having new cars every 2 years, but due to job loss and the economy, I have had to get used cars and learn all this stuff. I am glad this forum is here for folks like me to learn. I have always loved hondas and am so glad I found this accord. I just love it and want to do the right thing with it so it will last me a while.

Craig

Old 10-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Well, after you adjusted the base idle (550rpm with IACV unplugged), you reset the ECU by pulling it's backup fuse. (right?)

At that point you should force it to re-learn the idle system. Problem is I'm not sure whether 1992 is too early for the system that's capable of "learning". Doesn't hurt to try.

After setting the base idle & resetting the ECU, let the engine cool down completely.
Plug everything back in.
Start the engine without touching the gas pedal.
Allow it to warm up completely without touching the gas pedal.

I'd be interested to know whether that works. If not, then I guess you had to do what you did.

I'm not the expert on everything, but this procedure has worked on Accords a few years newer.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Oh, JB, I didn't have any idling issues, but now I know to reference this. Thanks for all your help.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Well I was sort of confused by the repair description along with JimBlake.
The quick check for IACV on that year is to unplug it and the idle should drop approx 200 rpm.
So if you are at 750 and unplug it the RPM would drop to 550-500.
Sometimes the screen in the valve gets plugged up with soot and needs a Berrymans B-12 bath

Quick Reply: 1992 accord idle issue