General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1992 Ex 5sp wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Nughuffer
Unregistered
Default 1992 Ex 5sp wont start

Here we go again. This car is really starting to get annoying. My gf is driving down the road this afternoon and the car dies outta nowhere. Wont crank back up at all. I go get it and tow it home and start the process of figuring out whats wrong this time. So here's what Ive done so far. Fuel pump is working. When key is on I can here whine, the car has 1/2 a tank of gas. No Cel's and I here the relay "click" when the engine light goes off, ruling out main relay/ECU. With the key "on" I tested the yellow/black wire at the igniter inside the distributor and it had 12V. I tried several different ways to test for spark and none of them produced any. I replaced the Coil and still no start. All the lights on the dash work, I havent noticed any tach movement when cranking it. All grounds are good and the terminals on the battery are clean and tight. This car was running fine prior to this afternoon, never any trouble stalling or running subpar. Im getting pretty frustrated at this point, somebody help me out before I set this thing on fire!!
BTW those isolator bushing/washer things that attach between the coil and the coil bracket really bring the suck on reinstall, especially at night. That is all....

Last edited by Nughuffer; 12-16-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Check your ground at the T-stat housing be sure it's clean and tight.
I have a way that I check for bad ignitor;
Get it set up so you can watch for a spark from the Coil; spark tester or plug wire 1/8" from coil terminal.
Then turn on the key, use a test light, grounded to the block, and probe the BLUE wire connection at the ignitor, the coil will throw a spark when you provide the ground path thru the Blue wire connection.
What you are doing is bypassing the ground switching that the ECU does, when it gets the signal from the crank sensor in the dist. housing.
DesertHonda had another method of watching a test light flash from the coil connection, but I think that post got lost from the DIY forum.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Nughuffer
Unregistered
Default Fixed

It was the ignition control module. I tested power to the ignitor but not through it. Another DUH! I guess Ill be back in a week or two when this thing craps out again...hopefully not tho! Thanks for the help.