General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1992 Honda Accord Idle reving/temp overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 08:20 PM
Default 1992 Honda Accord Idle reving/temp overheating

Ok guys-

1992 honda accord. When i changed the spark plugs, one spark plug had oil on it. I don't know if this will be connected to my question or not. Anyway- when i start my car the idle jumps to about 2K and then drops suddenly and revs back up to 2K. When i'm driving and the car warms up-this stops. It's normal. this is problem # 1

Problem #2
the temperature gauge on the gauge console mostly says it's running hot. Sometimes when it's really hot outside the needle will be above the red line on the guage. I get out, open the hood and nothing. No spewing, hoses not even that hot. Could anyone help me?

I do have the thermostate out, but it was the same situation with it in. even a new one didn't change things. Oh and my fans are wired to always run when the car is on-Both fans.

Thank you in advance

Old 05-26-2006, 02:14 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 1992 Honda Accord Idle reving/temp overheating

# 1 ,, the oil in the plug was it in the electrode ( inside the combustion chamber ) ? or you saw oil when you pulled the plug wire out ?

# 2 ..you should not drive the car if temp gauge is reading hot,, you need to determine what is causing this or you could be looking into an engine melt down,,

so,, you got planty of coolant, did you blled the cooling system properly from the bleeder screw ???
what is the idle set at ?? chk for vacc leaks, it could make the idle surge,, also a bad fast idle valve could cause the same issue,,,,,,,,remove the top cover and tighten the inner valve for the fat idle valve ...
does temp gauge read hot as soon as you turn key on ?? how long before it reads fully hot ?? does engine miss or does it run smooth at idle ??

A lot of questions i know ( sorry ) but from your replies it will help us narrow down the cause ( s) ..

Old 05-26-2006, 01:13 PM

First, i hear ya on not driving the car. But...I've owned the car for a year and i've drove the car about 10 miles a day for a year. The problems have been happening for about that long. I'm just tired of having the problems.

1. When i changed the spark plugs 3 of the 4 were great. The other spark plug on the Electrode had some oil on the tip, inside combustion chamber.

2. Trying to prevent melt down

3. The coolant never leaks, never overflows, i flushed the system and added new coolant, but same results. Oh and the coolant level never goes down. I did blead the the cooling system properly. Acuralegendforum has a great article step by step on it. Idle runs about 6 hundred rpm when its running normal. I do need to check for vacc leaks, thank you. Bad fast idle valve-don't know where to find that but will look into it.

As soon as i start the car the idle goes directly to about 2K rpm then 3 seconds later, drops to 1500 rpm. but the temp guage does not read hot as soon as i turn on the key. It take about 15 min driving before it says Extreme hot. the engine runs very smoothly, no miss.

Thank you so much

Old 06-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Default 1992 Honda Accord Idle reving/temp overheating

anyone have an idea?

Old 06-06-2006, 01:28 AM

have a shop do a leakage test..........

As for oil in the plug electrode,, you got either valve seal leaking or worn rings ..

Old 06-14-2006, 06:38 PM

what exactly is a leakage test? about how much does that cost?
thanks

Old 06-14-2006, 10:07 PM

you take out a plug and screw a special instrument in there and then crank the starter without having the engine start. you then compare the reading for that cylinder against the rest of the cylinders. all cylinders should be within 75 percent of eachother. so if the highest cylinder reads 100 psi, all the others should read at least 75.

because the needle takes a while before it reads really hot, i have a feeling the engine really is getting hot.