General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 new owner issues please read

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 04:13 PM
Default 1992 new owner issues please read

Sorry if i get long winded. I had a 1990 and put 400K on it thought my experience with the 90 would make me some kind of expert. On my new 1992 it leaked oil from everywhere and I did timing belt and all the seals on all cranks and balancer. Also the oil pan gasket. the down pipe on the exust had holes that i had welded closed. Car done and running no leakes and the A/C ICE cold. driving home today the CAR sputterd and ran terible when i down shifted to rev the RPMs the car died and has no started since. the coil looked bad i HAD A spare put it on and nothing. it turns over and wont start even with starting fluid into the intake. pulling the distributor now need more ideas dont think its the cap. Oh and i think the welds in the down pipe failed just before it died it got louder

Old 10-14-2014, 04:53 PM

Just pulled the DIS Cap rotter look good had a few drips of oil in the cap fuel pressure tested at the fuel rail is perfect at 42 psi test on the spark plug with it out of the block showed positive spark WTF

Old 10-14-2014, 05:23 PM

My 1990 did this and i changed the chip in the distributer and that cost 60 bucks and wasnt the issue HELP brain fry!!!!!!!!

Old 10-14-2014, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Also, check for engine & transmission codes. Is your 92 accord an LX, DX, or EX? More specifically, is the coil under the distributor cap, or outside of the distributor?

Old 10-15-2014, 08:54 AM

its out side above the cap towards the fire wall, when we brought it home my son added oil due to all the leaking. 3 mornings in a row the engine leaked out on the floor, he assumed he needed to add oil. When i got involved I checked the oil level and found it 3 quarts over full, this was causing the engine to smoke, huge amount of oil blow by on the piston rings. Got the car running without smoking but gas MPG was very bad so I told my son to clean the plugs off they were new but black from all the oil, after he did this the car just didn't run well. Going to try new NGK plugs this morning.

Last edited by rampcrawler; 10-15-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:35 AM

just replaced the plugs and checked the spark had good white color, added starter fluid and got no start. looking for the place to check the codes not sure where the wire goes to check any pics out there

Old 10-15-2014, 12:02 PM

just switched out the the distributor cap and rotter, had a spare igniter put it in check the spark and still had good spark, going to pull the timing covers and see if its still in time just changed the belts last week they look lose but all the info i got from the forum stated it should be a little loose

Old 10-15-2014, 01:15 PM

Ok just got to timing belts and yep it out of time and the belts were rubbing so bad they only have half a belt left! tensioner pulley not instaled correctly!!!!! Back to the parts store for belts

Old 10-15-2014, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Can you tell why the tensioner failed? I'm wondering what could go wrong with the installation.

How far off was the timing of the camshaft to the crankshaft? If it went too far off, you may have damaged valves.

Old 10-15-2014, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Were tensioner parts and water pump replaced?

I doubt misinstallation of belt tensioner (OP inquired about Timing Belt Tensioner Installation Warning post in DIY forum) would cause a problem this quickly.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...g-22046/page3/

good luck

Quick Reply: 1992 new owner issues please read