General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 accord dx thermostat help

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 05:59 PM
Default 1993 accord dx thermostat help

Good Evening,
I have been having trouble with my thermostat, when car is idle the needle for temp of car goes sky rock to simulate that the car is overheating. However the car does not over heat. If im in stand still traffic the needle goes to the redline but as soon as i move off the needle goes down to lil below the half mark and often times i drive with my heater on to help incase theres an actual over heat. I thought it was a faulty thermostat, so i have removed/replaced with a brand new thermostat and after a week the problem permits. I still have this problem currently but when I travel at high speeds the needle tends to come back down. I have asked around and one has advice me that for the particular year of my car that this is a normal thing and he recommends me to drive without my thermostat. Do you think that this is a good idea? whats the real purpose of the thermostat and do you really need it in the car?
I have checked my rediator fluid and top up, at times the radiator resivour is empty, do not know why but i have not seen any form of leakage from hose or components. Sumtimes when i have the heat on i can smell coolant or burnt coolant. Can someone assist me with this problem and i think i may need a new radiator. thanks for your responses

Old 11-27-2012, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Thermostat controls coolant temperature to maintain a relatively constant temp, usually 185-195 F. This allows engine to perform most efficiently. Removing the thermostat will cause car to run much cooler and use much more fuel. Not recommended.

You may have a coolant leak that is losing coolant to the point overheating results. If you're losing coolant and reservoir goes empty. A cold system pressurized leak test at a shop will locate the leak.

Leak could be a head gasket allowing coolant to pass out w/ exhaust. If so, you should be getting some missing and hard starts (water on plugs).

good luck