General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1993 accord re-issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Default 1993 accord re-issues

I posted a few times with the numerous responses but, "She No Fixeded yet"

When it warms up, (within less than 5 mins, if thats warmed up) when you give it the gas, it has a dead spot that sounds like I cut the ignition, If I flutter the pedal it will jump and take off. It will stay that way until I let off and give it gas again, at any speed. In neutral is revs fine (no load). fuel pressure is good.

I have changed :
TPS
Coil
full tune up wires cap plugs rotor
new ignition module in the distributor
fuel filter

Cleaned the throttle body

But, something clicked in my vast wasteland of a mind. I had "the Guy" change the flex pipe right before this started. Could the O2 sensor be hosed? would it say it running rich and killing the fuel?

running out of options, but it is a great car (when running).

Thanx everyone

Old 11-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

I think if the O2 sensor were grounding out (with motion of the exhaust pipe) you would get a check-engine light (code 1 for the O2 sensor).

Besides, I don't think the sensor has the authority to make it so rich that it stalls??

Old 11-18-2009, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Okay.........Hmmmmm...........
As you are stepping on the gas, opening the throttle plate, there is a big change in manifold vacuum.
So try doing it with the A/C on, so the idle boost chamber is turned on.....see if there is a difference. Or while standing on the brake pedal, as the brake booster uses lots of vacuum
Also be sure there is a little slack in the throttle cable, so that the TPS signal isn't getting the timing advanced too soon.
Have you blasted out the IACV and screens with Berrymans B-12?
Unplug the IACV at idle to see if the RPM drops.
Timing and valve adjustment?
FWIW "warmed" means that the engine is at full operating temp, and the cooling fans have cycled.
I doubt you are warmed up in less than 5 minutes of idle.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:56 AM
Default all fixed

Thanks Handadude

IACV was carboned over.

In the time irt sat, the battery went flat, so I geuss all the sensors had to set. After I cleaned the IACV, I took it for a ride and it was still acting up. I pulled in the driveway and left the motor running while I contiplating the course of action I would take. So I said to the the car, I treat you good, to you want to go to the scrap yard?. I backed it out of the driveway and to my surprise, she ran good. HOORAAAY

Now I wouldn't think the Idle Air Contol Valve would cause the symptoms that I was getting, but a good douche cleaned it up and I have just under 100 miles clock.