General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil in the air filter???

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 11:48 AM
mainman1963
Unregistered
Talking oil in the air filter???

Hi Everyone
My name is Mikey and i have a 1988 accord lxi 2 dr The motor is a A20A3 fuel inj model. I like the car and i got it for a project. But i am haven trouble with the pcv valve pumping oil into the intake and get all the way to the air filter. I am doing a comp. test today and i changed the pcv valve out but no change. I see most model have a blow by box on the valve cover mine doesnt. and i havent been able to get under the car to see the back side really good of where the tube from the oil pan goes. I am new to the honda so please be nice.
If you got answers drop me a line... please. Mikey

Old 11-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know my way around the A-series too much but here goes...

Your PCV valve (#18) sucks air out of a breather-box (#1). The breather tube (#20 etc) allows air back into the crankcase to make up for what the PCV sucks out.

If the PCV valve is clogged (or blowby is too much), then that'll overwhelm the PCV and reverse the flow through the breather. That can push oily air into the intake.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, probably. I think that would be almost like the PCV valve clogging.

Incidently, I think the box he refers to (under the valve cover) is the baffles that are built into the underside of the valve cover. They're just a different incarnation of that breather box. Supposed to separate the oil out from the oily air, allowing it to drain back into the engine.

Last edited by JimBlake; 11-16-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:58 PM
mainman1963
Unregistered

well everyone......
I did the comp. test and the truth came out. No 4 cyc failed even with oil it only produced 50 lb. So i took the motor apart and it got worse... I was right about no4 but all 4 pistons were cracked. When I got the car the prev. owner had the timing adv. and the motor was pinging bad. I corrected that. Then I ran into the pcv prob.
Now I found out what that prob. is so it off to honda to get pistons, rings, gaskets and fresh set of bearings. thank goodness the cyc. walls showed no wear. valves are all good. But the blow by box under the fuel inj. that goes to the oil pan.... I dont like it... not a good place for it that why they prob. moved it in the up coming years. I will keep you all posted on how it goes... Thanks for your coments.... Mikey

Old 11-23-2009, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Hmmm. Cracked pistons are bad news, but I guess it's good that you have figured it out.

If it didn't have cracked pistons (excessive blowby) then that oil separator box (basically a catch-can) should probably work OK. I bet they changed it for lower cost & simpler assembly.