General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1993 Accord wont start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 04:20 PM
Default 1993 Accord wont start?

Hey everyone, I recently purchased my first Accord LX (I own a 90 Prelude and used to own a 92 Civic) and have loved it until 3 days later it refused to start. I accidentally drained the battery from leaving the dome light on and ever since, the car wont start.

I've jumped the battery, recharged the battery, replaced the battery with a fresh working one, checked to make sure it was getting fuel and spark, replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, checked the main relay and fuses in both places and have even tried starting the car in neutral. Nothing.

It cranks fine, it wants to start, but it wont. I'm beyond stumped at this point. I know it's recently had it's timing belt and water pumped within the last 3k miles if that means anything. Any suggestions?

Old 03-18-2014, 09:28 PM

Crank- no start. Fuel, air, spark.

Air:
So first try cranking it with the throttle open, just for kicks.

Fuel:
A faulty fuel pump can cause this problem too. Have someone turn the key while you listen near the fuel pump or at the gas tank cap. You should hear a motor run for a few seconds.

If your fuel pump does turn on then you can check the fuel pressure.

Spark:
You can also check the alternator output too and the ignition coil. The ignition coil can be checked by the resistance between the terminals.

Lastly is the crankshaft position sensor. But that may be a bit extensive to start with.