General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 Honda Accord with 247.000 Speedometer etc.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:57 PM
RaysHondaAccord1994with247.000miles's Avatar
Newest Of Newbies
Thumbs up 1994 Honda Accord with 247.000 Speedometer etc.

Hi I am new here as I see some great info. My wife owns a Accord 2002 70.000 miles I own a Accord LX 1994 247.000 miles. My car runs fine does leak oil though. My speedometer works at times and then doesn't work, this started a few weeks ago. Also the D on the dash board for Drive now blinks you know the green square around it. Sometime the check engine light comes on too but the car runs fine no issues at all while driving. 2 windows won't roll up/down as the button at the drivers door doesn't work for those but will work for others and I can use the window button on the doors themself. I thought about using a stop leak for the oil but I heard bad things about this so I just add a quart every 2000 miles. This car runs good still get 32 appox miles per gal on hwy. Original trans etc. I have only ran 76 gasoline in it. I bought it years ago with 160.000 miles on her. Thanks for having this forum Honda Cars are the best made in the world!

Old 08-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

The check engine light and the D4 light turning on means the engine computer and transmission computer detected a problem. You should check for codes. There is a link in the common DIY threads on top of the gen tech help forum on how to do this.

As for the windows, the window switch sounds like it is the culprit. You may be able to clean the contacts inside. You can probably find a cheap replacement from a junkyard.

I wouldn't try stop leak on my car. Try to clean as much oil as possible off the engine. Then try to find the oil leak. It may be something relatively simple to fix. Usually the side of the engine with noticeable oil can help narrow down the possible source of the oil leak.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:49 PM

My speedo did that in my 94 Accord as well. There is an electronic VSS (vehicle speed sensor) on the transmission. I tried changing this out twice and it never helped. Turns out it was the speedo itself. After I changed that out it worked fine. However, since you are getting a blinking D4 and CEL light, I would suspect the VSS itself since there is a CEL code for this if it fails. The VSS isn't too difficult to change, just kind of hard to reach way down past the black intake tube all the way to the transmission. I think I found a VSS for $25 on ebay.

But, mine did same thing, worked, didn't work, then worked again. Back and forth. Something about the IC's on the speedo itself failing and they aren't repairable.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:50 PM

By the way, mine failed with almost the exact same mileage on it.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Talking Appriciated

Thanks for the valued information folks it is much appriciated. I have one question for you, What would happen if I didn't replace the VSS ( if this is the issue ) as the car seems to be running fine except that the speedometer works at times/not at times and the green square around the D on the dash is blinking, both of these things happened at the same time.. The check engine light has come on twice in 3 weeks of driving. If I need to drive my other car I can do this until I get this issue repaired. My transportation to work which is 6 miles each way.

Last edited by RaysHondaAccord1994with247.000miles; 08-08-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

The engine computer will ignore the speed sensor signal and use the other inputs to regulate the air/fuel ratio. The engine and transmission will not perform ideally.

Checking the code(s) is quick and simple. That common DIY thread I referenced has a link to specific instructions on how to get the codes. It takes 10 minutes to check.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:46 AM

I wouldn't ignore the problem. For one, it will throw off your odometer and you'll have a hard time tracking maintenance intervals. Plus, like mentioned, it will affect transmission/engine performance. Just having the CEL light on for me is pretty annoying as well.

The VSS is such an easy item to repair it shouldn't cost hardly anything to replace if you don't want to do it yourself.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Smile Long Beach Ca. Repair

I'll get it to repair shop soon if anyone knows a good one near Long Beach ca. Would appriciate this thanks for those that haved helped me with this. Also the green light around the D4 just blicks short and constant no check engine light on. Speedometer works at times.

Old 08-10-2011, 11:36 AM

I've got one for ya, my family goes to a guy down there named Wally. Very honest and reasonable. It's called
Wally's Shop
714-956-9400.
532 South Central Park Ave East
Anaheim CA

He's on Facebook if you look up 'Wally's Shop'

Old 08-10-2011, 11:38 AM

One other thing to be sure it's the VSS. When your speedo is not working, try and see if your cruise control (if equipped) will work. If it's the VSS it won't.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1994 Honda Accord with 247.000 Speedometer etc.