General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Honda accord ex transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Default 1994 Honda accord ex transmission problem

Hi!
My transmission on the honda accord is going out i believe. I bought the car a month and a half ago from some guy in missouri. I figured its a honda so it should be pretty reliable. I came to the conclusion that the previous owner abused/neglected the car which is why all the problems are coming to me now. BTW, its a 94 accord with a 2.2 vtec. its automatic.

All was well when i picked up the car. I get on the highway and head towards Wichita. After about an hour, i have to take a ramp to get onto another highway. As the car downshifted (automatic transmission) it started to rev a lot before going into gear. I had this same problem on my previous minivan and a drain and fill of the tranny solved the problem. I figured the problem was old fluid.
After making it home, i drained and filled the fluid 4 times. all was good after that for the next few weeks because i was only doing city driving. The transmission wasnt getting too hot so all was okay. Just 2 weeks ago, i took the car to Canada, and the problem came back along with burning smell from the tranny side, probably from the clutches getting hot.I reach Canada and drain the fluid again. again its dirty and burnt. I take it back home the next week and on the way as usual the problem is there. Its fine once it gets to highway cruising speeds but taking exits, or getting back on the highway was a pain as it took forever shifting gears.

Recently i have noticed that even 5 minutes of city driving is causing the transmission to rev when going into gear. I have owned many hondas and i know for sure its not the usual honda shift. Its worst.

Im guessing the transmission itself is bad. Since its perfect when the car is still cold. Should i go ahead and replace it? Or should i try draining the coolant and transmission fluid once and see what happens? Anything else i should try?

Thanks!

Old 11-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Default RE: 1994 Honda accord ex transmission problem

if the fluid smells burnt and looks burnt and the problem is getting worse then I would guess you have a tranny problem and that's why the guy was selling it, he may have put in some anti-slip tranny crap to hide the problem a bit.... right now there is a post in the for sale section where someone is parting out a 94 accord and I'll bet you could get a sweet deal on that transmission and do a manual swap for less than a rebuilt tranny....That sucks man sorry to hear it's going out on you

Old 11-09-2006, 05:06 PM

hey thanks for the quick reply! Yeah that was my exact thought on why the car was being sold but i obviously figured it out too late. I do not want to convert it to manual because i bought it to teach my wife driving and manual would be a bit too much for her to handle initially.

I guess i will have to get it replaced which was what i was hiding from. I will keep you all posted tho. Thanks!

Old 11-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: huzzsaba

. I figured its a honda so it should be pretty reliable.
Mistake # 1 ......
mistake # 2 ... would be if you did not have the car inspected by a shop

hate to say ity but sounds like yoy got internal tranny problems

Old 11-09-2006, 05:27 PM

yeah i know i should have gotten it checked out. The only problem was this guy lived out in the middle of nowhere and the closest shop was probably 40 miles away.
How hard is it to replace it myself? I am pretty mechanically inclined. I do all the work on my cars myself and the hardest ive done was the head gasket on my 91 acura legend just to give you an idea.

Thanks

Old 11-09-2006, 05:41 PM

I've done a couple of trannies and I believe it's fairly easy (get a manual) it just takes time, if I've never done a particular vehicle before I usually like to allot a solid 8 hours to do it just in case I hit a snag.... Here save yourself a few bucks and download a manual

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Accord/

Old 11-09-2006, 05:45 PM

thanks guys. I really appreciate it.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:08 PM

if you cant somone thats parting out a tranny then try www.d-a-p.com they sell tons of Honda parts and accessories including transmissions for good prices.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:27 PM

thanks man!

I have already found a transmission. The only problem now is that the guy told me its from a 97. he said i would have to swap my old torque converter for it to work. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks

Old 11-09-2006, 10:36 PM

I would be surprised if that tranny would work in that car at all...94 and 97 are 2 different generations of accords. I may be wrong but it would be best to get a tranny that is at least in the same model generation as your own.

Quick Reply: 1994 Honda accord ex transmission problem