General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 Honda Accord Ex Vtec Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1994 Honda Accord Ex Vtec Issue

I have a 94 Honda Accord Ex Coupe. I believe it has a 2.2L, and it is an automatic. I just installed a short ram intake a few days ago. Today, I was showing my friend(a much more car savy person) my new intake, and we decided to take my car for a spin. I was driving on the interstate, and I pressed the gas pedal almost to the floor. The car was in second, and the tach read 4000 rpm. It would not shift up and then the engine slowed and the rpms dropped without shifting. Then the Check Engine Light came on. I pulled off the road and turned off then turned on my car. I got back on the interstate, and we continued but I did not push the gas down as far so the car was able to shift normally. I thought that the vtec would kick in around the 4k mark but it never did. My friend said that the car was not going into high timing mode or something like that. I have had this car for about a year, but I have never tried to redline to engine therefore I do not know if the vtec has ever worked or if the new intake has something to do with it not functioning. Is there anything you could reccommend me checking, do have any idea why the vtec is not kicking in when I get to higher rpms? I'd be grateful for any information/ input.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Get the error code. I have a writeup in the DIY section called how to check CEL codes that tells you what to do.

You don't really feel vtec turn on. The rpm range is 2300 -3200 for the vtec to change the amount of time the valves are open.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Newest Of Newbies

My car is an 1994 accord automatic. And it's is a sohc. I can't check the codes using your post in the diy section because my car isn't set up like the one you posted abOut. Can you give me another option to get the codes for my car?

Old 04-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

That post was written to cover your 94.

Copy and paste this link in your browser. Click on the CEL code checking part for a good writeup with pics.

dhost.info/accordinfo/

Old 04-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies

oh ok. I guess I was looking at a different post. I will go get the code now. Thanks

Old 04-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I followed the instructions in the article word for word and the CEL did not flash. The only time it came on was when I put the key in the ignition and turned it to the II position, and then it immediately went off. I though I may have done it wrong so I redid all of the steps five more times, and I kept getting the same result. Is there anything else you could recommend me doing?

Old 04-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

If you had correctly put in the jumper, then it would behave like this...

The CEL would come on with the key in (II) & then start flashing the error code.

Or... the CEL would come on & stay on when the key is in (II) if there's no stored error codes.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I must have done it wrong all of those times then.
Ok I'm supposed to, 1) unclip the two prong plug from underneath the glove box, 2) use a piece of metal to connect the two wires in the clip, 3) put the key in the ignition and turn it to the II position, and 4) hopefully get the code by looking at how many times the CEL blinks. Is this coorect?

Also, what does that wire go to on the other end? Is it possible that I am doing the steps correctly and the wire is just not connected or there is no current running through the wire?

Old 04-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Yes that is correct...the other end of the wires goes to the ECU.

Also if there are any other codes they should flash as well (D4 light, ABS, ect).

Old 04-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

There is no set RPM for Vtec engagement
Vtec 101 class;

Quick Reply: 1994 Honda Accord Ex Vtec Issue