General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Honda Accord interior light problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 08:00 AM
Default 1994 Honda Accord interior light problems

Hi guys

New to the forum. Just bought a Honda Accord 1994 2.0 litre, japan import.

I got it for an absolute bargain with extremely lows kms for age - only 136,000kms.

I have 4 things to query..

Ive noticed when driving at night that the dash lights only half work. By that I mean, I can see the speed, fuel, temp and rev gague numbers but the actual needles that move to read the speed, revs etc are not illumiated and I find it difficult to see what speed I am doing.
It is worth noting that I went over a bump while driving home at night and suddenly the needles were illuminated. It looked like another light shines on the needles to illuminate them but i am not sure where this is located/how to fix?

Also, the gear selector is not illuminated so if I am driving at night then I have to look at the dash to see waht gear I am in. Is this a seperate fuse or bulb to replace?

Third, the air conditioning, which is digital, not analogue, only works sometimes. Most of the time, the lcd quickly flickers. I am guessing a loose connection but wouldnt know where to look to find out.

And last, when I lock the doors, they make a repititive locking sound for about 10 seconds. I have read up that this is very common and it is the actuator rubbers, but I dont know how to know what door is doing it? I assume it is the drivers door?

Any help is greatly appreciated and I am more than happy to provide photos for any part of the car you need information on.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:32 AM

It appears that you have a bad bulb in the speedo head. It is likely that when you hit a bump the filaments make contact thus temporarily allowing you to see the gauge. Unfortunately pulling the speedo head/gauge cluster is not a quick job for that car. I recommend replacing all the bulbs if you do it as the time to pull it is worth replacing them all. There is a remote chance that there is a loose connector/wire, but you will find that one bulb often illuminates multiple areas of the cluster.

To determine which lock is doing it start by disconnecting three out of the for connectors located behind the door handles (only one Philips head screw) and lock the doors. If it does not repeat then that one should be fine, disconnect that one and reconnect another one and continue to do so until you find one that repeats. If by doing one at a time you find that you do not get one or repeat then it may be that there is water damage to the drivers side main switch assembly.

Welcome to HAF! Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

The common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum has a link to online shop manuals. You can find the 94 shop manual for free as a pdf and it will help you with these repairs.

I think the needles are lit by bulbs on top of the cluster. Sounds like a loose, dirty, or corroded connection. There is a bulb for the gear selector.

Is the flickering led the light on the a/c switch?

By looking at the wiring diagram, I don't think the suggestion above about unplugging the door lock switch will work. I think you have to unplug each actuator. I'd guess the driver's side door is the culprit, but it could be any of them.