General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 accord 4cyl ex wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
He said its an auto.

Try shifting the car into neutral and trying to start the car.

Do the brake lights work properly?

we did, nothing

and yes brake lights are working.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

in the time being since you have never heard the car run and can do a short run of wire from the small connector on the starter and the other end touch it to the positve on the battery.

At least you can find out if the car runs or not.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Yes you can run a short piece of wire to the starter solenoid to "get around" this.

Next on my testing list would be to check for voltage on the black/white wire coming out of the electrical part of the key switch with the key in the "start position.

Old 04-28-2012, 12:59 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Poorman, I was referring to just getting the car to start to see if it runds as he has not heard it run yet.

Of course he needs to figure out what is wrong with the key start circuit

Old 04-28-2012, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by crispin
Poorman, I was referring to just getting the car to start to see if it runds as he has not heard it run yet.

Of course he needs to figure out what is wrong with the key start circuit
Yes, sorry didn't mean to "sound" like I meant anything....totally agree this would be something to do/try just to see if it runs and how well....the OP would then know if "chasing" the no start is even worth it.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

a little more background on the car...

i just replaced the starter. i took it off, went to get it tested and it spit a spark out of the gear... no bueno... still wont start...

do our cars have an inertia switch? if so, where would it be located?

Also, could the main relay be bad?

Old 04-28-2012, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

There is not inertia switch.

So you installed a new (or remanufactured) starter in the car?

The main fuel relay has nothing to do with the starter. It sends power to the fuel pump and the fuel injectors.

Lets start with some basics. Since this engine never ran, you want to make sure it isn't seized.

Grab a 19mm deep socket. Behind the driver's tire there is an access hole to the crank pulley bolt. Can you turn the engine by hand? You rotate the engine in the direction the front tires move in drive, so counterclockwise when facing the engine from the driver's side tire. You may want to remove the spark plugs to help. You should also remove the distributor cap and see if the distributor rotor rotates with the engine.

Do you have a volt meter?

Old 04-29-2012, 08:07 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
There is not inertia switch.

So you installed a new (or remanufactured) starter in the car?

The main fuel relay has nothing to do with the starter. It sends power to the fuel pump and the fuel injectors.

Lets start with some basics. Since this engine never ran, you want to make sure it isn't seized.

Grab a 19mm deep socket. Behind the driver's tire there is an access hole to the crank pulley bolt. Can you turn the engine by hand? You rotate the engine in the direction the front tires move in drive, so counterclockwise when facing the engine from the driver's side tire. You may want to remove the spark plugs to help. You should also remove the distributor cap and see if the distributor rotor rotates with the engine.

Do you have a volt meter?
yes it turns , the rotor rotates with the engine.

i dont hear the starter even trying to engage, which makes me believe that there is a fuse i am not checking or a wire that is grounded out.

Last edited by 2001xlt4d; 04-29-2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

If you are not getting 12v to the small wire on the starter, well it is not going to do anything.

Have you tested the electrical part of the key switch as I suggested?

EDIT: or you can pull the center console and test for continuity on the two pin connector, also check for voltage on the white/red wire when trying to start the car.

Last edited by poorman212; 04-29-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:32 AM

Hello , well im not an expert but perhaps it could be the ignition switch. it costs about 80 dollars from the dealer. its a white looking circle at one end with a wiring harness and a female plug on the other. the 98 accord had a recall on this. had the same problem, lights turned on radio but no dash lights and wont start.

Quick Reply: 1995 accord 4cyl ex wont start.