General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1995 EX Won't start, Main relay OK, no power to fuel pump

Old 01-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Default 1995 EX Won't start, Main relay OK, no power to fuel pump

1995 EX 4 cyl Vtec:
I had just replaced the fuel filter, and when I did that I pulled the wire loose from the fuel pump so I could play the radio while I worked. Realized I had the ignition in run position for a while later. Finished that and car drove fine for one day. Next day I go to start it, and the check engine light stays on for about 10 seconds before I hear the fuel pump come on. Then it cranks. Keeps doing that and seems to get longer and longer before the fuel pump comes on. Cranked it maybe 4 or 5 times, then last time I smelled something burning from dash and it won't start. I pulled the main relay, thought it smelled kind of smokey. Replaced still no start.
I tried to pull codes before replacing main relay, got nothing from the Check engine light, tranmision code was 14

Last edited by Malcontent; 01-04-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I would recheck all your wires u pulled. Also check all fuses and grounds. Sounds likes like a loose wire somewhere. Check everything is both areas you were working in. Coulda bumped something loose or moved it towards something hot and it slowly burnt throught a wire and now its ground out on whatever it could be touching. Retrace your steps

Old 01-04-2013, 12:54 PM

the only wire i pulled was the power to the fuel pump.

the smokey smell definitely came from the dash.

engine turn over fine, but no spark and no power to fuel pump tested with meter.

Ground is fine at pump.

Last edited by Malcontent; 01-04-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:29 PM

OH. and I had someone turning the key over for me multiple times when I checked for power at the pump.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:09 PM

from what i've read here i expected someone to say ECU but that's expensive so I thought I'd ask first

Old 01-04-2013, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you have no power to the fuel pump, check Main Fuel Relay. Check power in and power out.

MFR is a bitch to access on 94-97 Accords.

good luck

Old 01-04-2013, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I replaced the Main Fuel Relay, and that is not the problem apparently.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

A D4 code 14 is indicating a problem with the engine computer. Check the backup/radio fuse in the engine bay fuse box and the ecu fuse.

I am confused about where you pulled a wire and what wire you pulled to play the radio? This is in your first post.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you replaced the MFR and no power to the fuel pump, check for power to the MFR.

It is possible for the ECM to disable the MFR if it detects no engine rpm (engine off). This is a safety feature. If power is available to MFR, the ECM may be suspect. Make sure fuse supplying power to MFR is good.

good luck

Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 AM

So if I replaced the Main Fuel Relay, and it's not the problem, and if there is no power to the Relay, it's the ECM or ECM fuse? I thought I read there was no fuse to the MFR, is there a fuse before that too?

Is the ECM or ECU fuse under the dash with the other fuses? If so, that is where I think I smelled the smoke come from so maybe that's it.

The wire I pulled was the power to the fuel pump. I pulled it at the fuel pump so it could not be turned on while I was changing the fuel filter. The radio still plays so does that mean backup/radio fuse is good?

The car ran for a day after that, the problem happened gradually over the next day or two. Nothing but the fuel filter was changed and no wires were touched other than the fuel pump power wire.

Last edited by Malcontent; 01-05-2013 at 09:31 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1995 EX Won't start, Main relay OK, no power to fuel pump