General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 Honda Accord D4 blinks = bad ECM??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Default 1995 Honda Accord D4 blinks = bad ECM??

1995 Honda Accord Coupe L4-2.2L SOHC VTEC problems

It all started when my car started then died a few minutes later. I thought the car was out of gas I added gas. The car would crank then but not start or would start then die. Car finally started and ran fine for 2 weeks. Then the same problem started again where the car died and would not restart for 20 + cranks, then later did.

I re soldered the main relay per instructions on the web.

A few days later the car died and would not restart. After researching I replaced the distributor. The car drove fine for two days then started dieing at idle. Later then next day it died on the freeway as if the key was turned off. I researched that issue and thought it was the ignition switch. Minutes after replacing the ignition switch the car died again and would not restart.

I started think autozone gave me a bad remaned distributor. I had Autozone exchange the distributor. After installing the new dizzy it ran great for three days.

Now sometimes when I drive it the CEL kicks on and the D4 light blinks, it seems to randomly shift hard on the freeway. When this happens the car dies at idle. I pulled the codes with the scs tool and got a blinking D4 with 1 long and 4 short blinks. I believe this means that its a transmission control 14 error. Alldatadiy.com says one possible cause is a bad ECM.

Looking at the functions of the ECM, I noticed it controls: injector timing, Idle air control and ignition timing. It appears that the ECM might have been the problem all along. Before I purchase an ECM I wanted to get some input from you guys.

Thanks for your help.

Michael

Old 06-08-2010, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator

When you short the SCS connector, does the check engine light blink a code? If it does, let us know what code it blinks.

For future reference, whenever the check engine light or D4 light starts flashing, get the code before guessing then replacing a possibly good part. It is always better to diagnose the problem vs wasting your money throwing parts at the car.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:02 PM

When I pulled the codes with the scs tool and got a blinking D4 with 1 long and 4 short blinks. The check engine light does not blink any codes.

The D4 blinking only recently occurred after the dizzy and starter switch was replaced.

My initial problem was that the car would randomly die and then not restart. Then it morphed to the Check Engine light followed by D4 blinking 14 times and a weird bucking at highway speeds.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

I would download the 94 shop manual from the spooner link I posted in the online manuals thread in the DIY section.

That code 14 for the TCU is either a short or open in the wire ( brown/white ) between the ECU and TCU, or and ECU.

I would also clean all ends of both battery cables of any corrosion using some sandpaper. I would also do the same thing on any grounding points that are easily accessible. The shop manual shows all of the ground locations in the electrical section.

If the car does not start after a stall, you can try to figure out if you lost spark by using a timing light. If enough spark is generated, the timing light will flash at the normal rate. You will need someone to try to start the car while you test with the timing light.

Last edited by deserthonda; 06-08-2010 at 04:36 PM.