General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 Honda Accord Dash Wiring Harness Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 11:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1995 Honda Accord Dash Wiring Harness Question

I have a 5-Speed Manual 1995 Honda Accord, 4-cyl, Non-VTEC

Question is this. Im changing the wiring harness on the inside of the car, under the dashboard. Will it matter if i get a wiring harness from a Automatic 94 Accord? Someone mentioned i would have a extra plug. They also stated that it wouldnt start because the harness is setup to notice the car is in Park and because it cant being a stick it wouldnt start.
Anyone know for sure the answer?

Old 09-16-2013, 11:15 PM
Super Moderator

The dash harnesses are different for an automatic vs. a manual.

There is a left side harness and a right side harness. Which side needs replacement?

Old 09-16-2013, 11:42 PM
Super Moderator

The left side harness from a manual transmission is needed as it has the wiring and connector for the Clutch Interlock Switch. Without it, power won't go through to the starter cut relay and starter.

There are wiring differences in trim levels too.

Here is a summary of the some differences. There are actually quite a few differences for the harness wiring and connectors.

Main Wire Harness (Left side of dash and floor branch)
  • Connector C407 and wiring are different depending on whether the car has power seat or not.
  • Connector C438 and wiring for brake light switch are different depending on whether the car has cruise control.
  • Harness for manual transmission includes wiring and connector C427 for the Clutch Switch (M/T w/Cruise) and wiring and connector C428 for the Clutch Interlock Switch.
  • Harness for automatic transmission includes wiring and connector C432 for the Interlock Control Unit.
  • Harness for Canada models have even more connectors related to optional security system.

Main Wire Harness (Right side of dash and floor branch)
  • Harness for automatic transmission has additional connectors C440 and C441 for gear position switch, C446 for A/T gear position console light, C447 for shift lock solenoid, C461 and C462 for transmission control module, and C475 for parking switch.
  • Harness for ABS equipped models include wiring and connector C456 for ABS inspection connector, C465 for ABS rear fail-safe relay, C466 for ABS front fail-safe relay, and G406 body ground.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I have to replace the right one. There was a short causing the wires to melt together.

So since the left is good would i be ok?

BTW, I really appreciate all your help

Only reason i want to really make sure is it took me over 4 hours at pick a part to remove this thing and it was blazin hot today so id like to hope it wasnt for nothing

Last edited by Mario Locatelli; 09-17-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

For the right side, it also depends on whether you have ABS or not.

But, otherwise, it probably should work. Try to replace one connector at a time. If you have a question regarding a certain connector while replacing it, either take a picture and post it and/or describe the following:

• Area of connector.
  • Color of the connector.
  • Number of cavities on the connector.
  • Color of the wires going into the connector.