General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 Honda Accord EX instrument panel and ignition light problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Default 1995 Honda Accord EX instrument panel and ignition light problem

Sorry if this is being posted in the wrong spot. I'm new to the site and kinda in a hurry, but my problem is all of a sudden, the speedometer is partially dark. Imagine my surprise when I started driving this morning when it was still dark out and I could hardly make out my speed. The m.p.h. numbers are illuminated, but the needle itself is in the dark. Also, where you insert the key into the ignition is no longer illuminated. I checked the fuse for what should be the meter lights (at least I think that's the one most applicable), and it seems to be good. Any suggestions? Thanks for any help!

Old 08-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

You posted in the correct forum, but you should have started your own thread. I moved you to the correct place.

Are the needles for the tachometer and the coolant temperature properly lit up? Are the needles for the speedometer and the fuel gauge poorly lit?

I'm having a key light problem too. Let me look that up and get back to you. That one isn't as important as the speedometer.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:01 PM

Thank you for moving me to the correct spot. This is a stupid question, but I don't know how to start the new thread. I need to read the intro to this site for new users, obviously! In my haste to try to figure out a solution, I just jumped on. Sorry about that.

Anyway, in response to your question, as it turns out, my ignition light seems to be working now, but none of my needles are lit up, whether it be the odometer, speedometer, fuel, etc. I did see in a posting for a 1994 Honda Accord, there was mention of light bulbs that shine from above onto the needles. Maybe that's my problem? My husband wasn't sure about tackling taking it apart but may try it and see what happens. At this point, I have an appt. to take it into the shop in 3 days. We'll see if he can fix it before I have to take it in. Once again, thanks so much for your help!

Old 08-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Default 1995 Honda Accord EX instrument panel and ignition light problem

PA Honda - I just figured out how to start a new thread. Sorry I didn't figure that out earlier. So you can skip that part of my earlier reply. Duh!

Old 08-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Removing, then taking apart the instrument cluster isn't too difficult to do.

I would download the Accord 1994 CD7 CD9 USDM JDM Service Manual at from the site listed below.

spoonertuner.com/manuals

It will show you how to remove the cluster on page 23-134. You will probably have to get the bulbs from the dealership.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:40 PM

Thank you, PAhonda, for all your helpful suggestions. I'll do as you suggest and download the manual. Hopefully, it should give my husband the guidance he needs to take apart the gauge cluster. It's great to have your assistance and try to save some money in these tight times. It's very much appreciated!!!