General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1995 Honda Accord LX not coming out of park

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1995 Honda Accord LX not coming out of park

Hi, I have a 1995 HondaAccord LX with the 2.2 liter 4 cylinder engine.

The gearshift will not come out of park with my foot on the brake.

The tail lights work as normal when i depress the brake and go off when i take my foot off the pedal.

The D4 light on the dash is blinking.

I can get it into gear by using the manual release, but when I go down the road it revs up and I have to take my foot off the gas to make it shift to the next higher gear. In other words, the transmission is not shifting correctly.

When I short the 2 terminals with a paper clip, it blinks 1 long and 3 short (code 13).

The only codes I can find online show this to be the BAR or atmospheric pressure sensor.

Can that be right with these symptoms? If it is, where is this sensor and can I replace it myself?

Thanks for any help!

Old 09-22-2011, 02:33 PM

ok so you said the D4 light was flashing correct? the code you found is the Check Engine Light code not a TCU code. the code you are looking for from the TCU is: 13-Main shaft speed pulse generator open or shorted. other then the info i have given you, i don't know where that is and how hard it is to replace on your car. i hope someone else comes along with more helpful info on how to fix that.

also as far as it not coming out of park. if your brake lights come on and go off like they are supposed to you know your brake switch is good. there is a switch in your shifter console that could be bad. sorry i don't know the name of it right now.

Last edited by Honda_Lady; 09-22-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:15 PM

Mainshaft speed sensor should be at the back of the transmission end cover. Similar to number 15 in picture. Part Detail

Old 09-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Hold on. Did the D4 light flash a code 13 or did the check engine light flash a code 13?

Old 09-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The D4 light is flashing code 13. I'll have to look underneath when it stops raining maybe tomorrow and see if I can get to the back of the tranny to replace that if that's the problem.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Old 09-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

A code 13 from the D4 light (TCU code) is a problem with the baro sensor.

The baro sensor is built into the ECU.

Here are the first steps to diagnose.

Remove the 7.5 amp fuse in the engine bay fuse box that is labeled backup/radio for a minute.

Turn on the ignition switch to the II position.

Does the D4 light start flashing again?

Old 09-23-2011, 08:30 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes, it starts flashing again the problem is still there. And if you check the other post I made awhile back, I just replaced the ECU with a used one from a 70,000 mile Accord not too long ago maybe a month.

Why would it be the atmospheric pressure sensor? How does that make the car not go into drive and not shift correctly?

Old 09-24-2011, 09:54 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hi guys,

The info I have been able to get since the last time I posted says this:

Code 13-Main shaft speed pulse generator open or shorted.

Is this my problem? I just want to make sure because I've already replaced the ECU with a used one and if I have to buy a new one they are around $300.

Thanks.

Old 09-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

My manuals shows code 15 as main-shaft speed sensor, not 13.

Manual indicates Code 13, Barometric pressure sensor circuit, is the problem. This code is generated by the TCU, so it's possible the fault lies between the ECU and TCU. I have suspected that the wire bridge jumpers from connector to board can fatigue and crack at the solder conections. Before buying another ECU, I would try replacing the TCU w/ a used unit.

good luck

Old 11-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok, I had the TCU totally rebuilt and tested by autoecu.com. I installed it and it didn't fix the problem.

In August I replaced the ECU with a used one from another Honda. The person updated and programmed it before sending it. The car ran fine for a while before this new problem. I didn't really run it more than maybe 100-200 miles or so before this new peoblem happened.

Any ideas on my next step?

Quick Reply: 1995 Honda Accord LX not coming out of park