General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 and I'm tired of guessing what's wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ChappyBob
How do you clean fuel injectors?

gas has so many additives and detergents in it, that they rarely fail these days...for peace of mind, throw in a can of Seafoam in the gas tank every oil change and you'll be fine

Old 08-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Default Cleaning fuel injectors

Originally Posted by my1st.honda93
Release the fuel presure from the fuel rail,i do it by taking off the fuel presure regulator its eaiser or less mess with gas then by loosing the reliefe valve.
After you have done that remove anything in the way of the fuel rail,wires,hoses etc.then you will need a small flat head screw driver to remove the electrical connectors from the injectors,now remove the mounting nuts holding down the fuel rail i believe there are 4 nuts then pull the rail up off the injectors being careful!
Now you just pull out each injector from the intake bores and where you pull out the injectors each injector has 2 rings replace them!
Now you get alil gas and a toothbrush not the 1 you use get an old 1!lol just alil humor anyway scrub away all the black crap clean with a clean rag and installation is in reverse.
Thanks... What started all of this was I cleaned out the EGR passages. They were clogged up quite a bit. After I put everything back together, I noticed a fuel leak. I discovered, after taking everything apart again, that I pinched the top o ring of the injector on the left side(passenger). I just love doing things twice. So now I'm going to replace all of the injector seals & o rings. That's why I needed to know the procedure to clean injectors. My car runs pretty good, so things look clean. I wonder if it is worth cleaning the fuel rail.
I love my old '94 Accord EX wagon, and plan to keep it awhile. Perhaps I'll pop of a good manual. I appreciate your time, and your help. ChappyBob

Old 08-30-2012, 03:44 PM

There isnt one! I'm telling how to go about it!the manual is just to get him familiar with the engine that he has and to read and learn how to troubleshoot his engine
But there is no better way to learn to be a good DIY than hands on work!
You could learn a lot from reading a manual,and the way i explained on how to clean injectors is just from my experience working on cars,how many people can say they can take apart an entire engine and put it together again with no extra parts?and have it run better after fixing it?
Remember that successful troubleshooting is not mysterious black art that only the so called "professional mechanics" know?
Its simply the result of the right knowledge combined with a intelligent,systematic approach to the problem.Every smart mechanic and Home mechanic should work by a process of elimination,starting at the simplest solution working your way up to the most complex,and never overlook the obvious.
But what i find most important when fixing a problem on engines is "WHY" did this problem occur?was it just old parts?or was something overlooked when it was worked on last?
And take pride in your work cause it reflex on you and only you!

Old 08-30-2012, 03:49 PM

Rite on partner im glad you found your mistake!you just became a better DIY!and you need not bother cleaning the rail cause only clean gas goes through.
good for you!

Old 08-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

Chappy - get the new o-rings, if the injector(s) pulled out of the intake you might think about replacing those seals/rings as well. Use a "dab" of silicone paste on the new ones to help them "slide" in - take your time when seating everything.

I cleaned the ports on my 95 for the second time about two months ago - I had new o-rings already....I bet "Dr." has done this even more than I have.

As for the injectors - just as "Dr" said, run a can of seafoam or some other FI cleaner thru the tank every now and them and you should be fine.