General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Accord EX 4 door General Questions (paint, PL, sound, A/C)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:00 PM
AceTheAce
Unregistered
Default 1996 Accord EX 4 door General Questions (paint, PL, sound, A/C)

Hello all. I was happy to find such a robust site for a single model of car. I purchased my 1996 EX for $2,900 last December. It now has 166,000 miles and runs great! It is in dire need or a paint job. There is one problem: the hood has a rust spot on it. I am going to try to take a picture of it and post it in other places but I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue. One of my co-workers looked at it and said that it could have rusted through multiple layers of the hood. It is about 1 inch in diameter.

My right rear power lock will randomly not work and make a whine. The same co-worker said that the issue may be a faulty power lock motor. Has anyone else had this issue?

When I am idling in D3 or D4, my engine will make a squeaking noise. It will then get worse when I accelerate until I get to about 25mph then it stops. What part am I dealing with here?

Last thing. In the last week (been using A/C), I have water dripping under the passenger side dashboard. Earlier today it sounded like water rushing but was only dripping. I noticed which there is cold metal box with condensation on it so I'm assuming this has to do with the A/C. What could be dripping and how could this be prevented?

Thanks in advance for any help at all!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

The lock is likely the actuator and is somewhat of a common problem.

The squealing sound is likely one of the two belts. It probably needs tensioned properly.

The water is the condensation from the a/c evaporator. There is a rubber tube that should drain all of the water out. It is likely plugged up with debris. The tube comes out of the firewall in the engine bay. Use a pipe cleaner or a coat hanger to clear up the blockage.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:37 PM
AceTheAce
Unregistered

Sweet! Sounds simple enough! Appreciate the help!

Old 05-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would suggest elevating car on ramps to reach the drain tube (very tough from engine side). Use a shop vac to suck the drain line end. This should pull debris out that is lodged close to the drain entry point of the evaporator box. Don't be surprised if problem recurs. I had to remove my evaporator box and clean my 94Ex last year to clear a clogged drain.

good luck