General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

90 accord ex general questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Default 90 accord ex general questions

I am about to pick up a 90 Accord EX with 249k miles on it for my sons first car. It is an automatic and the body is in good shape. According to the owner, the car was running fine until recently when it overheated and the radiator broke. Here are my questions.

1. Once we replace the radiator & hoses, what else should we look for first that would need immediate attention. (what I am asking is what on these cars have been known to cause problems that we should replace?)

2. How hard is it to replace the head gasket on these cars?
3. Any other tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 06-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

These are well built cars that will run a long time, if given good maintenance. Here are my suggestions:

1) Timing belt, balance shaft belt, and tensioners should be replaced unless previous owner can vouch the work was done somewhere around 180K miles. It's due again at 270K miles.

2) Water pump and rear balance shaft cover gasket should be done w/ timing belt work, as same access is req'd.

3) You may get lucky and find the head gasket was not damaged by overheating, or you may find head gasket damage; overheating quickly, oil in coolant, coolant in oil, gassy smell in coolant, and exhaust gas bubbling out into coolant.

Head gasket replacement is not hard, but a bit tedious, and requires removal of timing belts, so try to determine if HG is bad before TB work to reduce HG repair effort. Be sure to have the head rebuilt; valve stem seals replaced, valves reseated, crack pressure check, and head shaved flat to insure perfect sealing. I've used Felpro HG kit w/ good results.

4) Check CV axle boots for ruptures and repair as indicated. Try to stay w/ original CV axles and avoid rebuilt cv axles (poor rebuilds are everywhere). If necessary to replace, I like to find good used axles.

5) Drain auto trans fluid and replace w/ Honda ATF, 2-3 times to replace as most of the fluid.

6) Check AC compressor shaft seal, connections, and hoses for leaks (oil/dirt accumulation). If any parts are defective, you should consider rebuilding AC system; pull evaporator and clean/replace all orings, replace compressor shaft seal or compressor, replace all connection orings, new AC hoses, new receiver/drier, clean/flush system and converting to R134a. AC is a mandatory in TX IMO, but Northern climes may live w/o AC.

7) Suspension should be checked for worn ball joints or damaged ball joint boots. Boots can be replaced fairly easily. Check the anti-sway bar end bushings for wear and replace as necessary (easy repair that stops noises in turns).

8) Oil/filter change. New spark plugs, new distributor cap/rotor, and new ignition wires unless they're fairly new.

The above list should keep you out of trouble for a while.

Be sure to post back for help if needed. I had a 90EX that I sold in good shape w/ 270K miles. I hated to part w/ it but my family thought it out of date since it had no air bags.

good luck

Old 01-20-2010, 08:45 PM

Time to post an update to the '90 EX. Here is what we have done so far...
1. installed new radiator as old one had a leak
2. replaced distributor with new one
3. replaced spark plugs
4. oil change of course
5. Replaced drivers side axle & cv boot (passenger side is fine)

Had the car inspected and was determined that the following needs to be done so it is getting done as I type.
5. getting the timing belt & timing cover seal replaced and pulleys
6. installing new water pump (same time as timing gasket)

Was told that after all this is done, everything else is in good shape (crosses fingers as he types)

Old 01-21-2010, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

As they do the timing belt, check for seal retainer on the balance-belt seal. This was a recall item (not sure if 1990 was in there?)

If there isn't a seal retainer, get one so the seal doesn't pop out. When this happens your oil quickly runs out onto the ground... It's a little bracket that holds the balance-shaft seal from coming out.