General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1996 Accord LX Suspension Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 02:14 PM
Default 1996 Accord LX Suspension Inspection

I have a 1996 Accord LX Sedan with 220,XXX miles that has recently started wearing the insides of the front tires (unmoddified suspension). It has had a squeaking noise on bumps for some time now (ball joints?)

I took it to my local shop who offered to inspect it for free after an oil change. They said the front suspension was good and tight and are aligning the front end for me. Tires have been rotated as well so if there is still wear it should be noticible before long.

My questions are these: What, specifically, do I need to look for in order to determine if it is simply an alignment problem which can be adjusted or if it is a 'suspension wear' issue? Do I just need to check for play on upper and lower ball joints, control arm, etc. with suspension unloaded?

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2011, 03:35 PM

Nice mileage..
Basically all components should be free of play, wear - ball joints, bushings, strut mounts. I'd inspect the sway bar links as well. The squeak is more like a rubber component/bushing.
Easier with suspension apart, like for the top strut mounts, ball joints, etc.
On my 99 I replaced lower arm bushings just based on visual inspection, could tell there was a crease in the rubber and central sleeve was not central any more - I have less mileage but I drive MI roads...

Old 06-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Put the front of the car on jackstands. Turn the steering wheel until it locks.

Grab the tire at the 3/9 o'clock position and try to push and pull on the tire. There should be very little movement. The only movement would be from the slight play in the steering wheel. If someone holds the steering wheel when you do this, there should be no movement. Do the same thing at the 6/12 position on the tire.

If there is movement or noise when doing the 3/9, then pull the tire an look for the movement or noise in the tie-rod (inner or outer). The 12/6 would be from the upper/lower ball joint.

You may want to inspect the stabilizer bar endlinks. Google GYosZGby0-I

That is a video detailing this kind of stuff.

If it turns out to be the shocks/springs, I have a set of slightly used OEM set in the DIY section that I never had a chance to install on my 95, because I sold the car.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:06 PM

panhonda, gave an excellent idea for ball joints and tie rods.

your sway bar(stabilizer bar) endlinks are most likely worn out, if your car was equipped with one.

upper control arm bushings that are worn will throw off your camber and cause outer tire wear.

but most likely worn tie rods

Old 06-17-2011, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the help; looks like I know what I'm doing this weekend

PAHonda, assuming there is no/very little play with the 3-9 and 12-6 tire inspection, what can I check to rule out worn springs. They don't appear to be sagging... I have the same overly-ambitious ride height of every other stock 5th Gen I see.

My bottom line is: I don't mind replacing whatever needs replacing - especially since my commute is 150+ miles round trip daily. But, since my wife is excepting in early July I don't want to just throw $$$ at it.

Thanks again!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:16 AM

BTW, after alignment and rotation the "seat-of-the-pants" feel was much improved on the trip in this morning.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

It is harder to inspect shocks visually. If the you found oil leaking from the shock, then consider replacing. If the spring was cracked, then replace.

If you try to push on the car above the shock to simulate hitting a bump, the car should return to rest quickly. It shouldn't keep bouncing.