General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 11:55 AM
Default Car Inspection

Hi, I live in a state that requires yearly car inspections. Before I had a new car, I went to any local auto center that was open. Since the car is new, and mishandling is a concern that I hope every new car owner has. What is my best bet? The dealership? There are many local auto centers in my area, but they typically work on older cars and they usually leave the cars in this messed up parking area for days. My car is new and I know it has nothing wrong with it, so I want the inspection process to be quick and painless. Would you recommend a place like Pep Boys or VIP.. or should I just stick with the dealership? Wouldn't you say that dealerships are also less busy than local places? I am also interested in a place that will allow me to have some control over my vehicle. I don't have an LX or anything so many of the parts on my car are plastic and easy to scratch and all it would take is for the dealership guy to NOT care about what he's doing to scratch it all up. I want to be able to drive my car into the garage, and be aware of what is going on. I feel that for what I'm paying for this thing, and what I'll probably end up paying for the inspection sticker, that it's really not much to ask. This will be my first inspection and I'm so nervous about not having control over what happens to it. I don't want them to mishandle my car on the inside or the outside, and there really is no reason why I can't stand watch on my car while they quickly realize that nothing at all is wrong with it. What do you think? If I ask, would the accomodate this? And does anybody feel that a dealership is a trustworthy place to bring your car? It seems that the dealership would be more professional about it since they have direct experience with new cars and car ownes that worry about their cars. Any tips would be appreciated!

Old 07-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Default RE: Car Inspection

I just moved from a state that required inspections. By law, every place that did them had to charge the same price (it was like 10 bucks or something close to that). None of the mechanics liked it because it took like 20 minutes to complete an inspection so they kind of got hosed. If the price is the same everywhere, I'd just take it to the dealership. Based on my experience, there's not a whole lot that they need to do on the interior of the car so nothing should get scratched there. In Missouri, they essentially just checked the brakes and the exhaust and sent you on your way.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:12 PM

In Texas the cost of the inspection is regulated so it's the same price wherever you go. Most of the oil change places here have a qualified inspector and they get you in and out pronto. Look into that in your area.....and you can keep an eye on things. After your rant what will you do if it's an old guy?[sm=roll.gif][sm=roll.gif][sm=roll.gif]

I'm an old fart but I test cars like this.........[sm=gears.gif]

Old 07-25-2006, 12:32 PM

I have no qualms with old mechanics. In fact, the ones in my area are jolly little fellows. They whistle while they work... which is pleasant. I do however, have a problem with old people that turn around in parking lots seemingly just to give me a heart attack. LOL.

So if you do an oil change at the same time, they do not require you to go wait in some quiet lounge? That would be a good idea, but I don't think my car needs an oil change. And the guy said I can't do an oil change too early because of the type of oil in my car. Darn. I'm hoping if I express my concerns to the dealer that they might understand. I will probably not be this **** in a couple of years, but when it comes to my first inspection, I prefer my car to have good treatment. Afterall, an inspection on a newer car should be a piece of cake really. I am a complete nerd with my car. I love it and I want it nice all the time. I don't rub it with sheep cloth like some people, but I give it a daily stare down for anything wrong. These type of daily routines are going to clash with any mechanic, I just know it. I can't even BEG my family members to be careful around my car. It goes through one ear and out the other.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:23 PM

In Missouri, if your car was 2 years old or less, you did not have to get it inspected. I'm not sure how old your car is, but you might want to look into that.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:37 PM

Man, I'd kill to live in Missouri. It's required where I am. No way around that part but I'm trying to figure out which is my best option since I have to. It is so ridiculous to have a newer car inspected. I know it's for safety, but something could go wrong the day after my car passes inspection, you know? So it's really not worth the hassle for a new car. The Missouri rule makes a lot of sense. Other states should jump on that bandwagon. Unless they require daily inspections, there's no real way to avoid car problems so we might as well lighten up on the new cars and focus on the cars on the road that really look like they've seen better days. Those are the cars that are more likely to pose a threat to vehicle safety. I really like the idea of any car older than 2 years needing an inspection. I mean, it only buys me one more year at this point, but it's one hassle I wouldn't have to worry about.

Thanks for trying to help. I'm not likely to run into anyone from Maine on here, but maybe there are other states that require safety inspections once a year? Let me know if you do, and let me know if you think the dealership is a good place to go for one.