General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 accord not starting up

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 04:13 AM
thatboyjer
Unregistered
Default 1996 accord not starting up

I have a 1996 Accord LX and heres the problem i've been getting

This car was previously owned by my friend, it didn't come with the alarm manual so everything done to try and remedy the alarm problems was done by trying to figure out what was going on. At first, whenever the car was opened with the key manually sometimes the alarm would trip and when you tried to turn the key it wouldn't start it would just sort of click and the radio and lights would dim as if the engine was trying to turn over. After a few turns though the car usually just started up fine. It started to happen more often so we just cut the alarm wires and the problem dissapeard for a long long time. I bought the car just recently and i guess i somehow tripped the alarm again (if i reconnect the ground wire to the alarm speaker you can hear a faint siren) and from time to time the car just clicked when you turned the key but it wouldn't turn over. Once again though usually after a few turns it would start up like fine, just recently however, the car no longer starts at all. Everything is working on the car the radio, the lights, the turn signals, but when i go to turn the key the car just clicks and no matter how many times you turn the key it just simply doesn't comply like before.

*Note: the clicking noise sounds like a click and then you hear a faint whirring noise*

Now here's the tricky part, thinking it was just the alarm acting up i reconnected the alarm wires and everything flashes on the car (except for the left turn signal, but anyways the car flashes as if the car alarm was going off) the kill switch no longer does nothing (even though it is still connected) and when the car stops flashing as soon as i put the key in it'll start flashing again. That obiviously didn't work so i just reconnected the wires to how they were before (i didn't feel like leaving the alarm wires in and have it flash all the time) and i took out the starter/celenoid and got it checked at autozone and when it was hooked up it worked perfectly so thats not the problem either.

I've read on this forum about a guy who had a similar issue, his car would just seemingly "click" when he turned the key instead of the engine turning over. The solution to his problem (suprisingly) was that he needed to recharge his battery. I'll be trying that tommorow, i'll take the battery to somewhere and get it fully charged. The alarm is no longer even hooked up to the ignition or starter wire so hopefully this'll be the trick that does it

The guy who's solution was just charging the battery said that the AAA guy that talked to him said that the battery's charge can still power the raido etc but it isn't enough to start the car. The battery's status can change quickly apparently especially if the weather conditions are erratic etc.

Well anyways, heres to hoping that thats the only thing thats been keeping my car from starting, i'm damn near going insane driving my mom's van around.

Old 04-26-2007, 09:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 1996 accord not starting up

First thing you need to do is to chk the battery, the cables and the connections,, make sure battery is ok and fully charged, cable are tight and not corroded and the
if all of those atre ok next is to totally remove the alarm from the system.. get to the ignit switch wiring and remove the alarm wiring and reconnect ign switch wiring without the alarm
I have seen a lot of non-factory alarm creat a mess of things just like you are having .. But do the easy stuff first ,, battery and cables and connections

Old 04-27-2007, 12:38 AM
thatboyjer
Unregistered

gotcha, heres a lil update on whats going down so far, i've taken the battery to autozone and got it recharged, the battery is fully charged and in good shape. The cables are nice and tight, and all corrosion has been rubbed away with that steel brush tool dealy. Now i've narrowed it all down to the alarm now that i know that the starter/celenoid are a-okay. I think though that somehow the alarm got stuck on because the kill switch no longer turns it off and the remote (which has a new battery) no longer works either. I already tried to reconnected the starter wires back together (took out the alarm wires and wired the starter wire's 2 ends back together) but still all that happend was that the alarm no longer went off and the lights didn't flash and the doors didn't lock but still no progress on the car actually turning over.

Actually, since the alarm wires were cut before i actually reconnected the alarm system back together to see if i could find a way to get the remote or kill switch to work. I'm pretty convinced its an alarm problem because the siren is loud as hell now and i have a nice little flashing, alarming car that refuses to start. i'm actually wondering if anyone knows why my kill switch no longer works and the remote doesn't respond. Anybody know how to reprogram a remote or know a way to just remedy the whole alarm problem (IE a way of dissconnecting it i havn't tried yet)??

hahaha well i'll be waiting for more of ya'lls input when i get back from a buisiness trip this weekend. Thanks in advance for any tips and advice any of ya'll have to offer, i hope to see alot of advice since i'm nearing my end's rope.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:44 PM
thatboyjer
Unregistered

alrighty got back but still same problem. I guess everyone's stumped too. It started up randomly today after turning the key several times but after i killed the engine it won't turn over again.

Still no suggestions?

Old 05-01-2007, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

I'm a bit confused about your terminology. When you turn the key, the starter doesn't turn the engine at all right? Does the starter make one click? When the car starts, it runs fine. If my description is correct, then your coil and ignition control module should be ok.

The problem is something electrical between the ignition switch and the starter. A one-click starter would indicate that the solenoid is not making a good contact anymore, so it will not turn over the engine. http://stores.ebay.com/Alternator-St...enerator-Parts has starter solenoids for accords for about $30. This is a pretty easy job to do.

The other problem could be the ignition switch. To bypass the ignition switch, turn the key to the ON position. Disconnect the black/white wire from the starter. Use a jumper cable to connect the positive terminal of the battery to the black/white terminal of the starter. If the starter turns your engine, then your ignition switch may be making bad contacts.

Edit: Just reread the section about the starter checking out ok. I would suspect ignition switch or the alarm is screwing up the ignition switch.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:47 PM

Have you tried removing the entire alarm system from the car as deserthonda suggested? It sounds like that is what you need to do first and foremost.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:05 AM
thatboyjer
Unregistered

i think its just as PA honda said, the ingnition switch might just be faulty because i have completely removed the alarm brain/alarm wires etc.

I'm still not sure if it would be a faulty ignition switch though because its not as if nothing happens when i turn the switch. when i turn the key, the car still clicks and makes that faint whirring noise consistently, the only difference is that once in a blue moon it'll actually turn over.

I find this entirely strange...seeing as how the car used to just turn over after a couple of clicks..

Old 05-21-2007, 11:32 PM

hey i got the exact same problem, did you find a way to fix it?