General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1996 Honda Accord Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 08:00 AM
Default 1996 Honda Accord Starting Problems

I have a 1996 Accord that has served us well and is now my son's first car with 189,000 miles on it. I continue a very good preventive maintenance program. A while back I ran into an issue where she would not start - cranked several attmepts then finally started. Sometime later happened again, but this time she would not start. Towed it to my mechanic on the weekend and received a call that Monday only to hear him say what is the matter she starts up fine. That was about 1 and half years ago. No issues since until now. My son left for college and the car was idle for a couple months - she started up fine on his last visit home but required a few more noticeable cranks. Went to start her this morning and she took at least 5 separate attempts before she started. I'm perplexed - any help would be great. Thanks!!!

Old 11-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by johnnyp
I continue a very good preventive maintenance program...the car was idle for a couple months...Went to start her this morning and she took at least 5 separate attempts before she started.
So, the plugs/wires/cap/rotor all in good shape?

You may want to put some fresh gas in to see if that clears up the problem. If it doesn't, I'd want to narrow it down to either fuel or spark. Can you hear the fuel pump run when you turn the key on? It should run for two seconds when the key is turned to the ON position, without cranking the starter. If so, when you have a no-start condition, pull a plug wire, stick a skinny screwdriver in it and hold the metal of the screwdriver 1/8" or so away from the valve cover while someone else cranks the car, see if there's spark.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is Check Engine Light on on or perhaps came on when no-start occured?

Is starter turning engine over slowly or engine refusing to catch/run? Remember we can't see/hear anything and only know info you relay.

good luck

Last edited by TexasHonda; 11-20-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The main relay is a very common problem and causes the car to not start on occasion.

There are many threads on it and how to check if yours is working or not.