General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Honda Accord 4 cyl...SRS light is on!!??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Arrow 1996 Honda Accord 4 cyl...SRS light is on!!??

Guys,

What could be the cause of the dang SRS light turning on in a 1996 Honda Accord. My gf's cars light just popped on, is there any way to check and see what's up or how should I go about it?

Thanks for any advice,

Donnie

Old 10-03-2009, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

Get a thin paper clip and short the two-pin service connector under the glove box. Count the SRS light flashes.

Follow these instructions, just count the SRS light to get the code.

http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

Old 10-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Thumbs up

Okay, thank you so much.

So that how-to DOES work for SRS codes also?? Not just CEL codes??

I just looked on the paper and it seemed as though all of the available codes were related to check engine light problems and not safety restraint system...

Thanks again,

Donnie

P.S. The only reason I want to be sure is that here check engine light IS NOT on, it's only the SRS light...

Old 10-03-2009, 01:57 PM

Okay, I went out with the how-to from that link in hand today on my lunch break and checked out the car again.

Hers is a 1996 as I said so it DOES have the OBD port connector behind the ashtray.

I looked up under the glove box and there weren't any connecters visible other than one thin blue one right by the heater fan?

Do I have to have the scan tool to read the code or is there still a connector that I can short to get the light to blink?

Also, does that even apply to the SRS light codes or only engine CEL codes?

Thanks again for the help,

Donnie

Old 10-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

That writeup is for the check engine light, but shorting the service connector will flash the SRS light as well. The SRS codes are not listed on that web site. Post any codes you find on here.

Your accord has a diagnostic port behind the ash tray to hook up a scanner. A generic scanner may or may not be able to read the SRS codes from that OBD2 port.

If that blue connector has two wires that are grn/blu and red (judging from the picture in that link) and is plugged into a dummy connector, then you can short that connector to get the SRS codes.

The 96/97 accords were the first ones to have the OBD2 port, but I am almost positive that they kept the 2-pin connector to get the codes like the 94/95 OBD1 accords.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:19 PM

Does this work on a 95 accord as well?

Old 10-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

It definitely works on a 95 accord. I have done that on mine before.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:40 PM

PA,

Thank you so much for the help!

I'll go out again today and take a look at the color of the wires that are going into that connector.

Her car is definitely a 96 cause it does also have the OBD port behind the ash tray.

The service connector that I need to disconnect is ALWAYS somewhere up under the glove box correct?

Thanks again,

Donnie

Old 10-04-2009, 01:20 PM

PAHonda,

Okay, I think that I have it all figured out.

I went out and shorted the connector and the SRS codes were:

I'm pretty sure that these were the correct blinks.

thanks for any advice,

Donnie

Old 10-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

I forgot to mention that the SRS flashes a main code an a sub-code. So codes are for example 1-1.

You should recount the code(s).

When you short the service connector then turn the key the bulb will come turn on for a check, then turn off for a 2 second pause. The man code will flash with 1.2 second flashes with a 1.2 second pause between. There will be a 2 second pause then a 0.3 second flash for the sub code with a 0.3 second pause.

So, after the SRS light initially goes out count the long flashes, then the short flashes. That will be the first code+sub code. Then a 2 second pause, long flashes, short flashes will be the 2nd code, etc...

Quick Reply: 1996 Honda Accord 4 cyl...SRS light is on!!??