General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 trans doesn't like to shift anymore. :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation 1996 trans doesn't like to shift anymore. :(

ok so i looked through a huge amount of threads and cant find one with my exact problem in it. iv got a 96, accord lx, 4cyl, 2.2L, 4door. and within the past few days it hasnt wanted to engage the gears while driving. it hesitates when it shifts also. i was driving 45mph down the road home one time stuck in 2nd gear! it was horrible. and it seemed like it was trying to shift because it went in neutral for a split second but then would go back to second. it likes to just randomly go into neutral. every now and then it shudders when it engages the gear as if the clutch wont engage properly. now iv heard its a vacuum problem, and a main shaft speed sensor dead, or my trans fluid is low. and so many others. but im pretty sure its my speed sensor cuz yesterday my check engine light came on and it read P0715. the sensor or circuit is bad. so i have no idea what is wrong with my car. if it is the sensor where can i buy it for not so much, cuz i no if i go to honda they will charge me way too much. and where is it located to change it myself??? iv looked at a ton of manuals and i still cant find it. guess im not looking at them right? idk. i just need my car working again! anyone with any help???

Old 12-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

P0715 is mainshaft speed sensor circuit fault (that's good because a circuit or sensor is repairable).

Speed sensor connector is near the lockup solenoids on the front side of transmission. You need a manual for guidance. Try the 94-97 Accord download manual links in Online Manuals DiY post.

Once you locate it, I would check resistance of the electrical solenoid. It will probably show open (infinite resistance) w/ a Volt Ohm Meter. If you can't do this, you'll need some help or just blindly replace the speed sensor.

For inexpensive replacement search ebay "accord mainshaft speed sensor". There was one for your model when I looked. Another source is car-part.com. I doubt OEM Honda part is terribly expensive, but havn't checked.

good luck

Old 12-11-2010, 05:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

well i found the part online and i searched every manual i could come up with and iv asked every person other than a honda mechanic and i cant find the thing on my car. and its starting to bug me. does anyone know where its located?

Old 12-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Refer here:

techauto.awardspace.com/transmission.html

wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_main_shaft_speed_sensor

Old 12-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Supper Moderator

http://techauto.awardspace.com/vss.html - take a look at this site.

I have this part I can sell you fairly cheap if your in need of it. Just PM me and let me know

Old 12-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

G22 - His problem is the mainshaft speed sensor, not the VSS.

Kamiko - The 94 shop manual that you can get from the links in the online manuals thread in the DIY section will show you the location. I attached a pic from my shop manual.

Installation should be similar to the VSS, but the sensor you want to replace or inspect is in a different location. The resistance across the sensor terminals should be from 400-600 ohms.

Attached Thumbnails 1996 trans doesn't like to shift anymore. :(-sensor.jpg  
Old 12-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Supper Moderator

ohh my bad I guess I miss read it oops sorry

But for the OP I have that sensor too if you in need of it. I have ALL working sensors and solenoid for a auto trans

Old 12-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Originally Posted by kamiiko19
well i found the part online and i searched every manual i could come up with and iv asked every person other than a honda mechanic and i cant find the thing on my car. and its starting to bug me. does anyone know where its located?
It's on the passenger side end of the transmission on the forward side, about 3 o'clock looking at end of trans from passenger side.

If you download the 94-97 Accord manual (Online Links in DiY section), it's page 14-84.

If that's not enough, you should seek some additional help.

good luck

Old 12-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Unhappy :(

ok well i pulled the sensor and it read 480 and i pulled the other sensor behind it and it read 510 so im not thinking thats the prob. but its still not shifting right. could it be a pump or is my tranny just flat out dead finally?

Old 12-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe try to check the wiring from ECU to those sensors. If the sensor is good but the wire is broken, the ECU can't tell the difference.

Quick Reply: 1996 trans doesn't like to shift anymore. :(