General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 accord lx fans not working

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Default 1997 accord lx fans not working

hey my radiator and condensor fans dont work!

so, i purchaced this car recently and the fans do not work, the rad fan timer was in the mid console not hooked up, i plugged it in behind the dash and they still dont work. ive checked the fuses and they are all in good shape, you think it could be the rad timer module or something else?

also, i dont know if this is tied into my issue but the a/c does not work. when the a/c button is pressed and in on postition the fans obviously dont run and the a/c compressor does not engage the clutch, i noticed a ground on the compressor which seems very rusted, could that be a point of interest to check out, and is there a common chassis ground between the compressor and the fans?

any help would be appreciated!

Old 05-27-2011, 09:38 PM

simma down now.. check ur radiator temp switch on ur thermostat housing, there is a ac temp switch as well on your water outlet i believe where your upper radiator hose connects.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by honda69
so you overheat the engine? did the temperature gouge show anything .the fan turns on only when the engines gets hot !.did u huk up from battery to the fan is the fan works( black wire minus red is plus).

i havnt overheated the engine, i dont know if the engine has overheated prior to me owning it, as far as the fans go, they dont work under any condition, the rad fan works, as the previous owner tied a lead in through the windows fuse, so the fan runs when the cars running and until you open the door after shutting car off, i believe the temp switch A for the rad fan has been replaced, well at least from what i can tell, ill double check in the morning, as for the ac temp switch, isnt that supposed to disengage the clutch at a certain temp???

Old 05-28-2011, 01:38 AM

update:

i check around and got myself the helms manual, so in the morning i will test the temp switch a, if it works ill replace the switch, if not ill replace the fan timer, as for the a/c, ill test the pressure switch to see if it will engage the clutch, if it does ill test the a/c thermostat, there are signs of a recent ac recharge so i believe it doesnt need refridgerant but you never know...

i will post my results in the morning!

Old 05-28-2011, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Remove the wire connector from Thermo A, on T-stat, turn the key to "on"/pos II, jump the wire connector with a paper clip or something....do the fans come on? If so, test the switch, Thermo A on the t-stat controls the fans while the car is running...~194* it should "close".

If not, there are under hood relay and fuses that need to be checked as well. ..I think you can switch the window relay with the cooling fan relay as a quick easy test.

For the AC, did it ever work while you had the car? Yes I would clean the gound, can't hurt and costs almost nothing. From there, many other tests have to be checked, what reading (volt meter) do you get on the ac pressure switch.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:04 AM

to honda 69:
hey i am mechanically inclined, i am new to honda but have troubleshooted issues in the past with other cars, and i know how to read a manual...

i am looking for assistance in this repair, not critisism so if you have an idea on troubleshooting my issue ill be happy to hear it, otherwise please dont post a reply saying i dont know what i am doing. plus i would just bring it to a shop, but there are NO shops in my area that are credible, and would make this issue worse, trust me ive been there done that and dont need the extra headache!

Last edited by phatboyslim2012; 05-28-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: addition
Old 05-28-2011, 11:14 AM

poorman212
for rad fans, ill be checking the switch momentarily, your suggestion is acctually what i was gonna try. as for the fans they do not come on after you turn the key off either from what i understand. i have not checked relays, but the fuses are good.

for a/c, i have not done many tests yet, i got the car a little over a week ago, so no the a/c has not worked at all.

when im done testing the systems ill check back and let everone know what happened

Old 05-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

"phatboyslim"- Sorry I must have spaced when I first read this, I see in post #5...you were already heading down the path I posted....so yea, I basically re-posted what you were already doing.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:49 PM

lol, its cool. so i tested the rad fan, and it works when jumped, i havnt located the ac thermo as of now, so if you have an idea where it is that would be great, the helms manual is a bit vague on the diagrams

Old 05-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

I think it is like under the battery. I'll go look in minute (4 cyl, right, not that I think it matters for this).

PS-please add your car info to you sig, that way nobody has to go back to the first post to remember what you have, I've got short term memory issues........Thanks.

Quick Reply: 1997 accord lx fans not working