General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 Accord New stereo

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 12:52 AM
Default 1997 Accord New stereo

My brother gave me his old pioneer DEH-1400 car stereo. I bought a harness and mounting kit and soldered the harness plugged it in and it powered up. I put in a CD and nothin. No sound. I went to look at the wires and looked back at the screen to see that the lights went out. it wouldnt turn back on. I plugged back in the factory radio and i noticed when i moved it around the lights on it dimmed. I tried again with the pioneer. nothin again. tried the factory and that now didnt turn on. HELP?!?!?

Old 07-25-2012, 02:05 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by matt1220
My brother gave me his old pioneer DEH-1400 car stereo. I bought a harness and mounting kit and soldered the harness plugged it in and it powered up. I put in a CD and nothin. No sound. I went to look at the wires and looked back at the screen to see that the lights went out. it wouldnt turn back on. I plugged back in the factory radio and i noticed when i moved it around the lights on it dimmed. I tried again with the pioneer. nothin again. tried the factory and that now didnt turn on. HELP?!?!?
What do you mean you moved around the lights on it? First thing I would check is the fuse on the stereo.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:41 AM

I plugged back in the factory radio and as i like tipped it back and forth and moved it slightly around the lights dimmed and got brighter depending on where i was holding it.. Im assuming that its from a connection that isnt all that great. I checked the fuse on the stereo. Perfectly fine.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:47 AM

I plugged back in the factory radio and as i like tipped it back and forth and moved it slightly around the lights dimmed and got brighter depending on where i was holding it.. Im assuming that its from a connection that isnt all that great. I checked the fuse on the stereo. Perfectly fine.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Almost A Senior Member

How did you connect the wires? They are probably not making a good connection. A wire could also be grounding out somewhere. I had a similar problem and there was some exposed wire.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:22 PM

I soldred them and wrapped them in electrical tape. My dad is pretty good at it and gave me some direction. What i dont get is it powered up at first and now nothing. I have a CD stuck in there too. I did use butt connectors when it first started and then switched.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I soldred them and wrapped them in electrical tape. My dad is pretty good at it and gave me some direction. What i dont get is it powered up at first and now nothing. I have a CD stuck in there too. I did use butt connectors when it first started and then switched.
Oh wow... I still want to say that something is grounding in there....

Old 07-25-2012, 09:41 PM

I think that i might have blown the fuse in the car for the stereo. Thats kinda the way it was acting.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:07 PM
Almost A Senior Member

I think that i might have blown the fuse in the car for the stereo. Thats kinda the way it was acting.
But you had said when you move the wires it will flicker?

Old 07-25-2012, 11:37 PM

I did. Both stereos are dead when i plug them in now.

Quick Reply: 1997 Accord New stereo