General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Accord V6 intermittant hestation

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 08:40 AM
Default 1997 Accord V6 intermittant hestation

New to the forum....I have a 97 accord V6 with an intermittant slighthesitation while driving, accompanied by an wildly jumping tach needle.....It only seems to do it after it has heated up....Sometime the tach needle will jump but there is no hesitation...When it does it it just hesitates for a splitsecond and then runs normally... I have the maintenance manual..It shows a seperate coil and disrtibutor...It also shows an ignition modual that can be changed instaed of the whole distributor...Anyone have this problem before...Any help would be appreciated....Thanks

Old 09-23-2007, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 1997 Accord V6 intermittant hestation

Put your model info in your signature line. One of the rules on this forum.

Look on 2nd page of DIY Tips for ignitor or coil diagnostic. This looks like what you need. I've seen spark plugs and wires cause tach variations also. This is not a straightforward diagnostic. Be prepared for some mis-steps.

good luck

Old 09-23-2007, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the advice....Sorry for not adding that ....I had my post settings wrong..I thought my info would pop up on every post...I'm hoping it will pop up at the end of this post....I'll try your TS list from page 2...Thanks....

Old 09-24-2007, 08:46 AM

Replace your ignition coil. This was a problem in the 95-97 V6 models.
I had this problem. Here's my thread:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_56200/tm.htm

Old 09-24-2007, 03:13 PM

WOW!!!!!!!!! You did a lot of legwork..So you had the jumping tach and the slight stumble too right. With mine, It's almost like you switched the key off and switched it back on but its as quick as flipping a light switch.....So you have havent had any issues since you replaced the coil??? I just had a service bullitten done on it for an emissions inspection and free, plugs, wires, cap and rotor assy..I think that was service bulletin 98-081..The car only has89K miles on it and Ive taken very good care of it...I thinkI'm going to ring out the coil and go from there...

What kind of mileage does anyone else see out of other Accord V6's? Mine gets like 21 in town on aGOOD day, usually like 18....I thought that was a bit thirsty for a Honda?? Anyone else??

Old 09-24-2007, 04:28 PM

If you're having coil failure issues make certain that you're not using Bosch spark plugs, those plugs are known for destroying coils in hondas

Old 09-24-2007, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

You say it's like turning the key off then on real quick...

See if you can make it happen by wiggling the key. If so, then you need the electrical part of the ignition switch. It's not uncommon for that to happen, especially if your keychain is heavy.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:12 PM

I haven't done the math, but "the money pit" gets about 320 miles before the luw fuel light comes on. I think 21 sounds about right.
After the ignition coil change, no more intermittent tach bounce or funny "missing" from the engine.
1st off: there is an electrical connector at the coil facing the firewall.I took hours trying to figure out how to remove the thing because I couldn't find the clip that was holding it in. You have to push up from the bottom to release the plastic connector.
When you buy the new ignition coil (I got mine from Advance Auto Parts for about $75), make sure you have a flex head 10mm wrench, a 10mm socket, andsome socket nuckles would probably be helpful as well (I did it without nuckles though). There are only 3 10mm bolts holding the coil in, but they are a royal PITA to access and remove. You really do not want to strip them either. Also, remove the distributor cap before you start removing the coil. it will make it a lot easier. I didn't remove the cap till I already had 2 bolts out of the coil. It may have saved me some time and blood in my nuckles. Removing the old one was the hard part. Putting the new one in was a snap.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:59 AM

I have wiggled the key in the switch but that seems fine.......I have however noticed that the tach jumping and the hesitation only happen after the car is at normal operating temp for a few minutes ...When it's cold (the engine)it runs fine and the tach works with no problems....I'm ordering a coil later today....I'll check the plug brand also when I install the coil....My rule of thumb has always been (if you don't use OEM plugs) to use NGK's on anything from Japan if they are availiable..This forum is great ...Thanks to all who have taken the time to post information....I'll update with results from changing the coil!!

Old 09-25-2007, 11:34 AM

Trust me....it's the coil. If I am wrong you have my permission to teabag me at will!

If you leave it like that long enough (my tach needle bounced with the intermittent engine funniness for over a year before I figured it out) you will eventually get a CEL like the one I got in my previous thread. Then you will likely have problems starting.
As far as I know, this is only the case for the 95-97 V6's though. Anyone else that has another engine with a similar problem is not going to be the same issue.

Quick Reply: 1997 Accord V6 intermittant hestation