General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 DX - Driven while too cold for no antifreeze

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default I found the issues - and itis a hose

So i picked it up along with prestone. Its the hose that's labeled, in PoorMan212's picture as "Heater Inlet Hose" (from the heater valve to the engine. A huge whole is blown out of it where the hose goes into the engine. I uploaded a picture , and I have a question. ( My paint skills are REALLY lacking - the yellow dot is the hose and the red orange is where the hose blew out). The heater valve side is easy to swtch out. But the engine side is not easy to get to. ANy ideas - I think I have to try to remove oneof the ite,s in the blue boxes. I guess the one on the right is the distributor, but I think the other one (what is it?) might give me more direct access.

Any ideas which?

Thanks for all...

...Mike

Attached Thumbnails 1997 DX - Driven while too cold for no antifreeze-screenhunter_01-feb.-03-13.47.jpg  
Old 02-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Me, if you can't get at the clamp. Mark the dist housing to the head, remove the dist.....please remove the battery cable, be sure you have the radio code if the OE one uses it.

Remove the dist cap...leave the wires in place, the coil wire might have to go. Lay the cap out of the way. Note where the dist rotor is pointing. Mark the body of the dist to the cyl head, you will need this mark to put the dist back in and keep the timing. I think there are three bolts holding the dist to the cyl head.

Remove dist from the head....slight spining/rotating of the dist as you pull. Yes those elect connectors have to be removed.

Replace hose.

Clean the housing of the dist and the "cyl head" where the dist goes in....paper towel/shop rag. Use a bit of clean oil and lube the cyl head and the part of the dist that goes in. Get the dist rotor in about the position it was when coming out. Gently install dist, once seated to the cyl head. Line the mark from the dist to the cyl head (keeping the timing where it was) and tighten the bolts to spec. Pretty sure the spec is ~13 ft pounds...not much, about the same a a spark plug.

Connectors and cap back on. Should be good to go.

Last bit, be sure to properly bleed the air from the cooling system. Honda's do not like air in the cooling system....if you need/want help with that, let us know.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

To add a few...that hose might have been going and nothing to due with temps, if you want to tell your son that one.....App State ?

Anyway, two pics. One is from "someone" a while back showing the under side of the dist, you can just "see" the clamp for that hose in the pic...just another idea on how to "get at it"

The next, I drew a red line on one of the "ears" of the dist that would be a good place to "mark" the dist and cyl head for re-installing the dist and keeping the timing in place.

Attached Thumbnails 1997 DX - Driven while too cold for no antifreeze-5th-gen-dist-area-pic.jpg   1997 DX - Driven while too cold for no antifreeze-5th-gen-dist.jpg  
Old 02-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Just back in from outside. I moved the 'other thing' (not dist) and was able to get to it. It had one of those permanently crimped on clamps. I had to grind it off with a Dremel. The new hose is ON. YAY. I'm starting to put the rest of everything back together now :-).
Another update will be coming.
Thanks...
....Mike

Old 02-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Done - Thank You

I am done. The heater hose from the valve to the block just plain blew out, right up by where it enters the engine. The new hose is installed, and 1 gallon of Prestone. I took it out on the highway, the heat is better than ever, and Michelle is happy again.

PoorMan212, thank you so much for your help. And thanks to all those who chimed in on this post.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Our pleasure. Glad you got it

If you feel up to it, I'd like to see a pic of what you ground off. Another way of doing things might help the next person.

Hope you don't but if you run into issues in the future....well you know where to find us .