General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Honda Accord EX Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Default 1997 Honda Accord EX Electrical Problems

Hello,

I drive a 1997 Honda Accord EX Wagon. It has a V-TEC engine, automatic transmission, with about 140,000 miles on it.

About 3-4 months ago the engine failed to start when I turned the ignition key in the ignition. Literally nothing would happen besides the all the electric stuff (lights, fans, radio will still work) and one quiet click per turn of the key. It would however start sometimes and do the what i mentioned above sometimes (not start). Sometimes after turning the key 10 plus times it would start very slowly.

So i figured the starter was becoming old and faulty so I replaced it. After replacing the starter the engine started great. It sounded much more lively than the old starter, even compared to when the old starter performed satisfactorily.

Now today, about 2-3 months after I replaced the starter, I attempted to start my engine (which was still hot, i had only parked for a few minutes), same problem! No attempt by the starter to function.

In addition to this priority problem, my power locks have gone haywire starting a couple of weeks ago. When locking (not unlocking) the door/s from any of the 3 exterior key holes or from the power lock switches in the driver and front passenger doors, the locks will spasm like little machine guns, repeatedly attempting to further lock themselves. It is pretty loud and mildly embarrassing as it startles people around the car that don't know its coming.

Does anybody have any theories as to the cause of these problems and how I could fix it? I'm assuming that they are related electrical problems stemming from a bad component or wiring or something.

The car has some other problems including a check engine light because the transmission gear ratio is problematic (the transmission is dying a slow death) resulting in a bump when the car shifts gears; and the car vibrates after we had the timing belt replaced as recommended by the manufacturer (i think around 100k miles). I've researched the vibrations due to timing belt replacement and it sounds like either something to do with a timing balance shaft or engine mounts.

If you had the patience to read this whole speech I appreciate it. Hopefully you can provide some valuable feedback.

Thanks!

Old 07-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

I'll only try the door locks, sorry don't want to throw out things on the others as they would only be a guess. The door lock actuator is what is causing the "spasm". There are two choices, there are some posts on "repairing" the old one or replace it...I have the same issue on my 95, just haven't gotten around to fixing it. More than likely it would be the drivers door.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:49 PM

Thanks, I'll look into that as a cause for the lock spasms.

I look forward to more insight on the starting/ignition issue.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:28 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

does it just click or does the engine turn ok/? if it clicks chk the battery cables for corrosion and tightness,, if cable + battery are ok,, chk to see if you get power at starter solenoid wire while someone attempts to start the car ,, if you got power and no start ,, sounds like a starter issue,, bang on it with a metal pipe or big screwdriver see if it starts ,,
door lock actuator sounds like the issue with the door

chk the balancer shafts alignment make sure that both balancer shafts are aligned properly ,,

Old 07-16-2010, 12:29 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

“Now today, about 2-3 months after I replaced the starter, I attempted to start my engine (which was still hot, i had only parked for a few minutes), same problem!”

I have seen cars with a rear main oil leak take out a starter shortly after replacing and the symptoms are usually when the engine is hot it will either crank slow or not at all. This is not common and something to think about if all the common problems are checked out like a bad battery cable.

On the vibration as already mentioned the balance shafts need to be checked for proper timing. If you took it to a shop I would bring it back.