General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Accord Electrical Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Default 1997 Accord Electrical Problem!

Hello- New user, long-time reader...

I have a 1997 Accord LX 2.2 automatic with 204K (and love it)

A) A short time back, I was out on the highway in cruise at about 70 mph when the cruise control shut off, speedometer went dead, and the check engine light came on.
I figured I could live with that until I had time to research it and/or get it fixed and kept driving the car.

B) Four days later, I get in the car, start it, and the following items did not work - no flickering, not gradual:
clock, tach, temp gauge, intermittent wipers, neutral safety switch, gear indicator lights, rear defrost, windows, and I beleive that is all. The car ran fine.
I did a little searching on the internet and found someone with the same problem. Someone replied to them to replace the #16 fuse (what I found on the net. It is the #1 fuse on the inside labeled 'back up lights' meter lights) The person with the question said they did and it took care of the problem. I replaced that fuse and it blew right away. I checked all of the other fuses, inside and under hood, and they were all good.
I drove over to the local AutoZone and had them put it on their computer. It shows a P0501 code.

C) A day later I got in the car and it would not start. It turns over fine, but will not start (fuel pump?)
Again, I checked all of the fuses and they are all good, except for the one which is still blown. I also checked the grounds and they appear to be in working order.

I'm not a mechanic, but do some of the maintenance myself and understand a bit about automobiles. I just like to have an idea of what the problem is (any problem) and if I could fix them myself or not get a huge bill from a shop for diagnosis.

Any information would be appreciated and thanks!

Last edited by whereismyhonda; 12-04-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Is that fuse, or any others still blown? Was there any recent work on the car?

Old 12-04-2011, 08:14 PM

Just that fuse and it's still blown.
Latest work was in September - heater hoses, rack & pinion boot + alignment, exhaust shield.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Well the code is around the VSS, so that would go towards cruise, speedo, odo not working but not a no start.

Spark:
Key on, check for voltage on the BLK/YEL wire into the dist. Next check for spark at the plugs (timing light on the wire, other methods)

Fuel:
Key to on (not start just on). Does the CEL come on for ~3 sec and then go off? While it is on listen for the pump to prime (door closed, radio, blower off-no noise). What do you see/hear?
Next, pull the "rubber hose" off the tb, open butterfly, spray some carb cleaner in there and try to start it?

Old 12-07-2011, 08:03 PM

Poorman - thank you for your input.

Last time I tried to start it about a week ago, it would run for about 2-3 seconds and then shut off. Don't know if that means anyhing different.

I will tinker with again this weekend.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Maybe....did it seem to die about the time you let go of the key-meaning when you released the key from starting to run?

Old 12-08-2011, 07:02 PM

It would run like normal for the 2-3 seconds after I let go of the key and then quit.
I would make a couple of subsequent attempts to start it and it wouldn't run for the 2-3 seconds.
I'll try to verify that.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:16 PM
Default oops

Poorman - and everyone else - Merry Xmas!

So I must confess with an explanation... My honda is not my primary vehicle and it is parked on the city street in Denver. After sitting for a while and numerous attempts to start it, the battery was dead. I pulled the battery and put it on a charger recently. I put it back in today and it turns over again, strongly, but still would not start.
I replaced the same fuse which was blown and made a few more attempts to start without any luck and I did hear what I beleived was the fuel pump in the rear of the car making noise. I also noticed that the fuse would not blow with the attempted starts. I ALSO noticed that the fuel gauge did not come up while the fuse was still good... low on fuel and slanted to the right - it was not getting fuel. So off to the gas station I go with gas can in hand. Sure enough, it now starts and runs fine!

So... the same fuse still blows when the car is running. I checked and pulled out the 'back up lights' bulbs. They did not appear to be bad and I left them out for a start & run, but the fuse still blows. I checked all other fused again today and they are all still good.
And of course the VSS.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey guys, I'm having the same exact problems with no VSS and dead instrument cluster, no shift lights, etc. (all the problems whereismyhonda had I have as well) but all of my fuses are fine.

Mine still runs fine. Please see my thread at https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...em-help-54957/

Let me know if you have any ideas? I'm truly clueless on this one, and I rely heavily on this car, I need to fix it like yesterday.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:23 PM

MK-

It's been a while since I did this.
Did you replace your VSS? The plug that went into my VSS fried and must have isolated the components. As soon as I cut off the plug and replaced the related fuse, everything worked fine again. And still does!