General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 honda accord se 4cyl srs issue

Old 02-28-2013, 10:03 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1997 honda accord se 4cyl srs issue

SRS light is on constant tried reset procdure light will not flash at all during procdure so i replaced the srs control unit light stayed on still no flash during reset so i took the car to the local dealer they said the car needed a airbag clock spring and driver side airbag i replaced airbag and clock spring and tried reset procedure srs light still wont flash just stays on any ideas?

Old 03-01-2013, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator

What electrical connector are you using to do the reset procedure?

Old 03-01-2013, 07:10 AM
Newest Of Newbies

the yellow mes connector pluged into the fuse box i have put the two wires in this connector with a switch still nothing light is just on solid

Old 03-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

After shorting the yellow MES connector, waiting ten seconds with the ignition off, then turning the ignition on, the light should:
  1. Turn on briefly
  2. Go off for two seconds
  3. Turn on and stay on
The light doesn't turn off for two seconds?

Old 03-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

no the light does not ever go off. if the key is on the light is on.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

To read the codes, short the service connector under the glove box (just like checking engine codes).

The MES connector to reset the SRS is not plugged into the fuse box. You shorted the wrong connector. The MES connector is on the other side of the plastic cover where your left knee is at when sitting in the car. I attached a picture that may help. The red arrow is pointing where the dummy connection holds the MES connector.

Read the SRS code first, then reset using the MES connector.

Attached Thumbnails 1997 honda accord se 4cyl srs issue-mes.jpg  

Last edited by PAhonda; 03-01-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

that was the problem with the reset procedure thanks but after resetting it the light came back on but atleast now i can trouble shoot it

Old 03-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Sorry, I wrote MES connector instead of service check connector. PAHonda nailed it, check with the service connector, clear with the MES connector.

This is the procedure you're using to clear SRS codes?
  1. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and wait for ten seconds.
  2. Connect a short to the Memeory Erase Signal (MES) connector.
  3. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
  4. The SRS indicator light comes on for about six seconds and then goes off. Remove the short from the MES connector within four seconds after the SRS indicator light went off.
  5. The SRS indicator light comes on again. Reconnect the short to the MES connector within four seconds after the SRS indicator light comes on.
  6. The SRS indicator light goes off. Remove the short from the MES connector within four seconds.
  7. The SRS indicator light indicates that the memory is erased by blinking two times.

Old 03-02-2013, 07:23 AM
Newest Of Newbies

i didnt see it at first because it was tucked way up in the dash it wasnt in the slot where it goes i was able to reset it but light came back on so now i got to troubleshoot it again thanks for the help i will let you guys know what the problem is when i find out dealer said clock sping and airbag i replaced both of those and still have a srs light

Old 03-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator

Just post the code on here when you read it and we should be able to help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1997 honda accord se 4cyl srs issue