General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 Honda Accord stalls when driving! Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Default 1997 Honda Accord stalls when driving! Help

Help! My 1997 Honda Accord V6 began stalling about a week ago. I was driving down the freeway at 60 MPH and all dash lights shut off. Engine, power steering, and power brakes dead. I coasted to the side of the freeway on a bridge. I tried to start car, but all the lights on the dash that normally come on wouldn't. The lights finally came on after about 10 minutes of trying to start and I made it home. It has now done the same thing at least 20 times. I have now replaced the electrical portion of the ignition switch to no avail. The problem persists. I do have automatic start with my Clifford alarm system that allows me to start the car without the key. If I start the car in neutral, I can drive until I hit the brake, even with the key fully engaged. The dash lights that normally come on when you start the car still are blank when using the remote start. The remote start allows me to get the car off a main street when test driving in my neighborhood and get back home. I need tech help as I can't afford Honda Repairman because I currently have little income. Help!!!!!!

Last edited by Bradhonda; 08-26-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:44 PM

it sounds like ur alternator is shorting out and running off the battery at times. u might want to have that checked out. or ur keyless start might be having conflicts with the dash panel and ecu??

Old 08-26-2009, 11:56 PM

Now the lights on the dash that come on pre-start don't light up at all. The car will crank fine, but unless those lights come on, car won't start. It will still start with the remote start, but dies when you touch the brake. Is there a Honda tech on the site? Help!!!!

Old 08-27-2009, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

Your description sounded like an ignition switch problem. Now that you mention that you have an alarm system.

I do not know how your alarm system is installed in your car, but I would suggest completely detaching everything and get the wiring back to stock.

Failing alarm systems can cause all kinds of odd problems.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:22 PM

It started up fine this morning. I drove it about 6 blocks.... everything shut off again. I got it back home with remote start, pulled into driveway, hit the brake..... dead. Is there a Honda Tech on the site? Thanks, BradHonda

Old 08-28-2009, 07:20 PM

This topic going once.......going twice......

Old 08-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like your alarm system is causing problems.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

The idiot lights should come on when the ECU & running systems are energized. EVERYTHING like that is triggered by one circuit through the ignition switch. So when the starter cranks but the warning lamps never light up, the ignition switch was my first thought.

But that should not be related to the brakes, so the fact that it dies when you hit the brakes doesn't fit with the ignition switch. I'd take a good look at the alarm system.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:42 AM

Thanks guys. I put an aftermarket electrical portion of the ignition switch in originally. I'm going to put in an OEM version today. I've had parts be bad out of the box before, so I've got my fingers crossed. I will report back after the switch.... no pun intended.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

Got a multi-meter to check continuity thru each of the 3 circuits thru that switch? Even tho it's an electrical part, you might get some relief (or a replacement switch) if it was defective.

Quick Reply: 1997 Honda Accord stalls when driving! Help