General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 . 2.3 vtec .P0300 and p0302

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 11:46 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1998 . 2.3 vtec .P0300 and p0302

I am getting hard cranking, especially when cold.When the car starts, it takes about 3 secs to smooth out and then it idles and drives fine until I shut it off for about an hr.After shutting it off for an hr, the cranks are not as hard as when I leave it overnight.
I have changed the plugs, wires, distributor w/cap and rotor.I even changed the main fuel pump relay.I am running out of ideas except the fuel pump and injectors.Any ideas?
p0300 and p0302.

Old 11-22-2018, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

P0300 is a random misfire and P0302 is a cylinder 2 misfire. Sounds like you replaced all the ignition parts that can cause this problem. Next is fuel and compression.

You have a few tests you can try. Check for 12V to the #2 injector with a test light. Swap injector 2 and, say 4. See if the code changes to P0304.

You can try a compression test to see if something is wrong mechanically with your engine.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
P0300 is a random misfire and P0302 is a cylinder 2 misfire. Sounds like you replaced all the ignition parts that can cause this problem. Next is fuel and compression.

You have a few tests you can try. Check for 12V to the #2 injector with a test light. Swap injector 2 and, say 4. See if the code changes to P0304.

You can try a compression test to see if something is wrong mechanically with your engine.
I forgot to mention but I did the compression and it came out to 185-190 on all cylinders.I checked the resistance on each injector after it had warmed up and I was getting 12.8 one others and 13.2 on one of them.How can I check for voltage?Is it while the car is running the the connector for the injector is unplugged?
My next question is , can valves that needs adjusting cause a hard start?I think someone on here said it did solve his hard start?Not sure which post

Old 11-22-2018, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

What was each injector's resistance? Your response is confusing.

The injector gets constant 12V when the key is in the II position with the car not running. The engine computer grounds the injector to open it up. A test light would let you know if the wiring can supply proper current/voltage. It is unlikely, but very easy to check.

I highly doubt the valve adjustment would cause your hard start issue. Focus on the P0300 and P0302 first.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The injector gets constant 12V when the key is in the II position with the car not running. The engine computer grounds the injector to open it up. A test light would let you know if the wiring can supply proper current/voltage. It is unlikely, but very easy to check.

I highly doubt the valve adjustment would cause your hard start issue. Focus on the P0300 and P0302 first.
Ok.I will check the voltage on each injector with the ignition on.I will also check the resistance again on each specific injector.I wasnt getting 5-7ohms as spec'd for that car.I am thinking resistance rises as the car warms up.I will update tomorrow

Old 11-23-2018, 10:18 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Injector 1 11.8ohm
injector 2 11.7 ohms
injector 3 11.6ohms
injector 4 11.9
I dont know the mechanical part of their working condition.I think I will take it to a shop and have them test it.I turned on the ignition and I am not getting any voltage at injector harness.Does this voltage come and go or should it be a constant power at the prongs?

Old 11-23-2018, 10:20 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Fuel did squirt with the ignition on, I just didnt check it's pressure

Old 11-23-2018, 10:25 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I think I know what I did wrong.I disconnected the injector wiring harness from a plug around the upper timing belt cover.I will plug it in and check for voltage at the harness.I will report back

Old 11-23-2018, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

When you test for voltage at the injector, use the red volt meter lead on the red/blk wire. I think the wire color is red/blk. Look at each injector connectors. All injectors will have one wire color that is the same on all of them. That is the + side of the circuit.

Use the black volt meter lead on a good ground like a valve cover bolt. The engine computer provides ground only when the injector needs to open. If you stuck both your meter leads into the injector connector, then you would read zero voltage.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies

When you test for voltage at the injector, use the red volt meter lead on the red/blk wire. I think the wire color is red/blk. Look at each injector connectors. All injectors will have one wire color that is the same on all of them. That is the + side of the circuit.

Use the black volt meter lead on a good ground like a valve cover bolt. The engine computer provides ground only when the injector needs to open. If you stuck both your meter leads into the injector connector, then you would read zero voltage.
I went ahead and changed the pump since I didnt have a fuel pressure gauge to test the pressure.The fuel pump is not the problem.I went ahead and did another compression test and all cylinders were 180-185. I removed the valve cover to start adjusting the valve and I found a little milk at the oil cap.wow!!!
But compression is fine.smh
I adjusted the valve using Ericthecarguy's method but I think I did something wrong because when I was done, the valves were ticking worse than beofre.I am about to adjust the valves using the marks on the timing cover than using the cam lobes.My problem may be in the head.I am not sure yet

Quick Reply: 1998 . 2.3 vtec .P0300 and p0302