General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 Accord- fuel pump and CAT

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 10:48 AM
Default 1998 Accord- fuel pump and CAT

1998 Accord, 4 cyl, Manual Tran. 248,000 miles

Now that the weather is nice and cool, I feel like doing preventive maintenance on my daughter's car. Note: starter, radiator, alternator, power steering, etc... have been changed since they were acting up or leaking.
She has had this car since it was 165,000 miles (8 years).

I am thinking there is no way this fuel pump is the original fuel pump. And even if it was replaced, this (replaced) fuel pump has to have over 100,000 miles. I'd like to replace it, just to be on the safe side.
I am thinking replace the WHOLE unit with one from RockAuto (not just the pump). Plastic after 20 years gets brittle. Any opinions on this? or this brand?
SPECTRA PREMIUM SP8030M

$264.79
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++

Also, I have been procrastinating on replacing the Catalytic converter. There is a P0420 code - catalyst system low efficiency.I have ignored this for several years. Does this affect gas mileage or is it all about pollution control?
I looked at RockAuto and don't see one with a heat shield where I can take the old one off and reuse it on the new one. Also, I see several different kinds. How do I know which one is the correct kind? I am in Oklahoma, So I know I don't need the California kind. What are the odds that the bolts are so rusted, I'll have to grind them off? Anything I should know before starting on this?

Old 10-07-2019, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't replace the fuel pump unless it is failing. The OEM honda pumps seem to last a long time, and the aftermarket brands are not up to the Honda quality in my opinion.

My TSX lived in the north and required a torch to remove them. Look at the bolts for obvious signs of corrosion. For the part, I'd say look up the OEM part number for your accord on a site like hondapartsnow.com and look for the aftermarket cross-reference part number by using your OEM part number. The P0420 is for emissions purposes. There are some tests out there to see if the converter is working properly. Some use a IR temperature gun to measure temperature. I don't think the secondary O2 sensor is factored into the fuel adjustment, I think only the primary O2 sensor is used, but that depends on the PCM programming.

Old 10-07-2019, 01:52 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I second on the fuel pump. Only replace if you're having an issue. Also I would not go with spectra. If you're adamant I would just get a denso pump with strainer. No need to replace the whole assembly.

When you work on exhaust it will always be rusted and corroded. A torch is your friend (a simple flame torch kit from Wally World would do). You should have standard emissions. There is only one type that fits the car so you can't go wrong with finding the catalytic converter. If you don't know just look up your vin online and it will tell you which emission you have.

Old 10-07-2019, 02:34 PM

I guess I just have been having bad luck with fuel pumps. 3 times the pump quit while I was driving (1 for each car and they were 100,000 - 150,000 miles).
I don't mind it quitting on me, but don't want it to quit on my daughter.

I guess I'll not worry about the CAT, but still would like to change the Fuel pump. What is a decent brand that will last at least 75,000 miles?
Is it pretty easy to pull the housing out and replace the pump only? with Denso or Delphi -Those are Honda brands aren't they?

Last edited by rockhoundrob; 10-07-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:14 PM

The denso pump and strainer should get you well over 100k. I have never had a pump fail on me. I have 2 cars knocking on 200k and a 02 accord knocking on 300k all still original.

I do understand your point of making sure being that you have had it happen multiple times and so early. Were those Honda's that failed?

Old 10-07-2019, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
The denso pump and strainer should get you well over 100k. I have never had a pump fail on me. I have 2 cars knocking on 200k and a 02 accord knocking on 300k all still original.

I do understand your point of making sure being that you have had it happen multiple times and so early. Were those Honda's that failed?
If you're determined to change the pump, go with a Denso pump. It might cost a tick more, but it's a quality part. Don't know how much room you have to just change the pump thru the window Honda leaves, so here's something to keep in mind, you have to drop the entire rear subframe (rear suspension) to get access to the tank. Yes, I know because I changed the rusty fuel tank on my 99 Accord, and re-used the old fuel pump (@233K miles). It took me an entire afternoon to get it out, and an afternoon to put it back together. A tip I learned from doing it, was to disconnect the fuel lines at the pump cover (top of the tank), rather than where the FSM says to. It worked out great for me since a PO was in there and did some line replacement. I did a write up on changing the tank on 6th gen Accords a couple of years back, but I believe my pics that I posted from doing it are gone now.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20

1 honda 175,000 , 1 buick 150,000 and 1 cadillac 105,000

Old 10-07-2019, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
If you're determined to change the pump, go with a Denso pump. It might cost a tick more, but it's a quality part. Don't know how much room you have to just change the pump thru the window Honda leaves, so here's something to keep in mind, you have to drop the entire rear subframe (rear suspension) to get access to the tank. Yes, I know because I changed the rusty fuel tank on my 99 Accord, and re-used the old fuel pump (@233K miles). It took me an entire afternoon to get it out, and an afternoon to put it back together. A tip I learned from doing it, was to disconnect the fuel lines at the pump cover (top of the tank), rather than where the FSM says to. It worked out great for me since a PO was in there and did some line replacement. I did a write up on changing the tank on 6th gen Accords a couple of years back, but I believe my pics that I posted from doing it are gone now.

Just wish I could find an entire housing assembly with a Denso pump! I'd rather just pull the old one out and put in a new everything ( without changing wires, hoses, etc...)
But as far and changing through the panel, I think it will work, but will look first!

Old 10-07-2019, 06:59 PM

It will work. It takes about 30 mins for the install. Just make sure you run the car after you disconnect the pump to release pressure.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by rockhoundrob
1998 Accord, 4 cyl, Manual Tran. 248,000 miles

Now that the weather is nice and cool, I feel like doing preventive maintenance on my daughter's car. Note: starter, radiator, alternator, power steering, etc... have been changed since they were acting up or leaking.
She has had this car since it was 165,000 miles (8 years).

I am thinking there is no way this fuel pump is the original fuel pump. And even if it was replaced, this (replaced) fuel pump has to have over 100,000 miles. I'd like to replace it, just to be on the safe side.
I am thinking replace the WHOLE unit with one from RockAuto (not just the pump). Plastic after 20 years gets brittle. Any opinions on this? or this brand?
SPECTRA PREMIUM SP8030M

$264.79
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++

Also, I have been procrastinating on replacing the Catalytic converter. There is a P0420 code - catalyst system low efficiency.I have ignored this for several years. Does this affect gas mileage or is it all about pollution control?
I looked at RockAuto and don't see one with a heat shield where I can take the old one off and reuse it on the new one. Also, I see several different kinds. How do I know which one is the correct kind? I am in Oklahoma, So I know I don't need the California kind. What are the odds that the bolts are so rusted, I'll have to grind them off? Anything I should know before starting on this?
When I replaced the cat converter on my 99, I went with a Magnaflow stainless steel convertor off e-bay ($125). I also re-used my rear O2 sensor. I wasn't sure if it was a bad cat, or a bad sensor on my own car, but figured I'd start with the cat since it had been replaced some time in it's life (was a Brosal cat). Turned out replacing the cat was the right choice in my case. I also ended up replacing the entire exhaust on it, as I didn't want to have to fix anything on it over the winter (I live in the salt belt).