General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Honda Accord EX - Replacing The fuel pressure regulator

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Default 1998 Honda Accord EX - Replacing The fuel pressure regulator

After searching for the code P0170 and P0171, it seems that I need to replace the "fuel pressure regulator." Is this an easy task to accomplish on a 1998 Honda Accord, I can change brake pads, oil, and o2 sensors, but haven't ventured into much else.

Regards,

--tj

Old 02-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

V-6 or 4-cyl? It's kinda easy to replace the FPR, it just bolts onto the fuel rail.

But you should probably measure fuel pressure to verify that the FPR is actually bad.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:47 PM

My 1998 Honda Accord is a 4CYL.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

The fuel rail is behind the valve cover, across the top of the 4 injectors (#4). The FPR is at one end, it's #6 in the picture. It just bolts onto the fuel rail.

First disconnect the small rubber vacuum hose from the FPR (I think it's the top). There should NOT be any fuel in there. If there is, the FPR is certainly bad.

When you remove the FPR, fuel will squirt out from the rail. Be prepared with rags.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the prompt response! So, I'm going to remove the cover from the head?

--jp

Old 02-07-2011, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a thread with some info. It can be the fuel injector screens, the fuel pressure regulator, or even the O2 sensor.

honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2661174

Old 02-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

If you DO have to replace the FPR, you don't need to remove the valve cover. The FPR should be visible already. (maybe not a great deal of room for fingers & wrenches)

Old 02-08-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
The fuel rail is behind the valve cover, across the top of the 4 injectors (#4). The FPR is at one end, it's #6 in the picture. It just bolts onto the fuel rail.

First disconnect the small rubber vacuum hose from the FPR (I think it's the top). There should NOT be any fuel in there. If there is, the FPR is certainly bad.

When you remove the FPR, fuel will squirt out from the rail. Be prepared with rags.

Ok, so in replacing, I don't need to worry about the fuel squirting out? Just remove the plug, remove the FPR, replace FPR, and finally plug hose back in?

Thanks for Honda article, it also will help. Autozone ordered a stock FPR and only cost $29.

--tj

Old 02-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

The FPR has 2 hoses.

The smaller one is a vacuum hose, going to the intake manifold. That one should NOT have any fuel inside. If there's fuel in that hose, it means the FPR is ruptured.

The larger hose is the fuel return hose, and it carries fuel back to the tank. That one is supposed to have fuel inside, so be prepared for it with a few rags so it doesn't drip all over the place.

The fuel inside the rail might be under some residual pressure, so when you unbolt the FPR from the rail, fuel can squirt out for a moment. Be prepared for that too.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:08 PM

gong to install the new FPR, I removed the two bolts and started to pull off the hoses, one has a clamp, and the other doesn't.

The one without a clamp is the skinner hose, but when I pull on it, it doesn't seem to budge. Should I pull and twist, or do I need a wrench? I'm just afraid of stretching and breaking the house.

The larger hose with a clamp, I'm guessing to use a flat head, pry the clamp off, and reapply to new FPR using a new clamp from Autozone that tightens with a screw drivers, since the room is very limited in this part of the car?

Thanks.

--tj

Quick Reply: 1998 Honda Accord EX - Replacing The fuel pressure regulator