General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Honda Accord -vibrating from the front end

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Default 1998 Honda Accord -vibrating from the front end

This is my first-time here..

I am the original owner of this vehicle. The only major problem I incurred with this vehicle was the Transmission at 140 k (replaced with a rebuilt one)..This is the only other problem I am incurring with this vehicle.

Over its life..I have changed the motor-oil on ths vehicle every 3-3500 miles, tranny oilchanged at 25k miles

Approximately 5-months ago, I started to get vibration in the steering wheel, the front dash, pedal, I can view the shaking in my rear-view mirror.

The Vibration is also noticeable when I place my hand on the valve cover, the battery, the quarter panels, everything.

Also, upon excellerating from a stopped position, the vibration gets worse, the power seems sluggish. when reaching approximately 15+ mph, the vibration stops (untill I hit the gas hard again at any speed the vibration continues again untill I let go of the accellerator), but the power still remains sluggish.

The vibration is noticeable in the Park, Reverse, and Drive position, when it is in neutral, the vibration goes away..seems like it only happens when there is a load on the powertrain. I have to constantly put in PArk when comming to a stop light.

After viewing the threads on this forume (very helpful, but didnt solve my problem) I did the following since the symptom started:
-changes all motor mounts (4)
-Replaced both axels
-cleaned the EGR valve
-ran throttle cleaner through the throttle bodt/intake ( helped significantly, then went bad again)
-changed all spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor
-replaced the Catylitic Converter, the original one was literally gone..in chunks...California Vehicle

I had the transmission rebuilt at 140k, timing belt was changed 5 months ago.

I have been told the transmission for these Accords has had pressure problems, which HONDA acknowledgesd, but I am out of the Warranty period

Am I missing anything, before I begin to shop-around for a new Tranny?

I would love to find a less expensive solution than the tranny... and am leaning towards the intake or exhause, since cleaning the intake/throttle body made a slight difference...

Any help would be appreciated!!

Last edited by E39benz; 02-28-2011 at 02:34 PM.