General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibrating Parts - 2009 Honda Accord Sedan LX

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 02:03 PM
Default Vibrating Parts - 2009 Honda Accord Sedan LX

My 2009 Accord has a few vibrating parts that drive me mad. I have minor OCD so that constant buzzing/vibrating sounds at random times can get very frustrating. A normal person would be able to just ignore it, I on the other hand cannot.

There's three vibrating parts, two of which I have tried to fix, the third being recent (I'm hoping because of cold weather) with no attempts to be fixed yet.

The first part is what I'm assuming is a noisy blower motor or something in that general area, which is under the glovebox. When either the AC or heat is on at very low speeds (during high speeds the sound of the air overwhelms everything so you can't hear it), there is this almost high pitched rattling sound which is very annoying. It's definitely coming from under the glovebox. I read a stickied thread about how the noise is caused by the bottom of the glovebox being exposed, so I purchased an undercover and that didn't little to nothing. It seems to muffle the sound a bit, but besides that, nothing. I also can't seem to unclip it. Anybody have any similar issues/solutions?

The second part is a bit more straightforward. The plastic panel above the rear seats and behind the rear-windshield seems to have something in that general area loose. Whenever I hit a bump, the whole thing gets really loud and you can hear it shaking/vibrating. Is there any way I can tighten this up or remove the panel to inspect it? I'd assume this is just wishful thinking and I'd have to deal with it.

The third and final vibrating part happens when I am stopped, whether at a red light or stop sign or anything of that matter. It started happening when the weather got cold. It honestly sounds like a loose plastic part, however I'm worried it could be something more serious because it's coming from in front of the car, specifically the left side under the hood.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciate. I bought the car used a year ago and would love to iron out the little kinks that come with a random person driving a car for many thousands of miles. Thanks in advance guys!

Old 01-24-2014, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Blower squeal can be either worn bushings that act as bearings for motor to turn on, squeaking from brushes that conduct electricity to the armature, or perhaps a blower squirrel cage contacting blower housing. For first two, replacing the motor is fix. Aftermarket blowers tend to have more noise than OEM, but OEM may be much more expensive. If blower cage is hitting blower housing, removal and remounting carefully may fix the problem; or not. Blower replacement appears difficult for this model, so you may have to decide how much effort ($$ or hours) you want to spend to eliminate those noises.

"Rear shelf " between the back of seats and inside of the rear window may be inspected from trunk for loss of restraint. This item contains SRS components and there are warnings about removal. A Honda shop manual is essential.

You could locate the front bumper noise by idling w/ e-brake set and helper w/ foot on brake. This may be difficult to repair, but sometimes a bit of elastic foam at proper location can damp vibration.

good luck

Old 01-24-2014, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Blower squeal can be either worn bushings that act as bearings for motor to turn on, squeaking from brushes that conduct electricity to the armature, or perhaps a blower squirrel cage contacting blower housing. For first two, replacing the motor is fix. Aftermarket blowers tend to have more noise than OEM, but OEM may be much more expensive. If blower cage is hitting blower housing, removal and remounting carefully may fix the problem; or not. Blower replacement appears difficult for this model, so you may have to decide how much effort ($$ or hours) you want to spend to eliminate those noises.

"Rear shelf " between the back of seats and inside of the rear window may be inspected from trunk for loss of restraint. This item contains SRS components and there are warnings about removal. A Honda shop manual is essential.

You could locate the front bumper noise by idling w/ e-brake set and helper w/ foot on brake. This may be difficult to repair, but sometimes a bit of elastic foam at proper location can damp vibration.

good luck
Wow, this is amazing. I'm going to be looking back at this post many times when trying to fix this myself. You've given me hope.

Quick question. How do you know all of this? I'm fairly young and this is my first purchased car, so I'm basically learning this as I go. I seem to be doing well, besides noisy brakes I haven't had any major trouble with the car at all. It seems to be these little things that are completely bothering. Besides going to school, how could I learn more about my car so it stops stressing me out when I don't know how to fix it?

Old 01-25-2014, 03:56 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I've had experience w/ noisy blower motors several times.

Most direct info came from e-manual I have for your car. Check automanualsource.com for an inexpensive download manual.

Learning is a combination of reading and doing. You learn at this site by reading posts of others w/ similar or unrelated problems.

Problems you and others have are rarely unique and shared knowledge/experience is what makes sites like HAF valuable.

good luck

Old 01-25-2014, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

If any debris got past the filter, they could be getting stuck in the squirrel cage and make some noise. I would suggest removing the cabin air filter and use a vacuum (hose accessory of your home's vacuum cleaner will work) to clean out any debris. This is simple to do and worth a shot before replacing anything.

As for learning about DIY diagnostics/repair, I would buy the shop manual for your car. You can find it for $22 at automanualsource.com as a pdf. Visit this site and read the new posts on the Gen Tech help section for general problems.

That is how I started out. Before long, you will predict the responses from members and start answering questions as well. YouTube is also an excellent source for information with channels like ericthecarguy on how to do repairs as well.

Probably most important, ask questions on here (or other sites), because someone has had similar problems and can provide pointers to avoid more work. Trust me, simple repairs can quickly turned into a nightmare, so tips from experienced people will save you a lot of blood, sweat, and tears in the long run.

We are here to help out, so participate in the forum.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
If any debris got past the filter, they could be getting stuck in the squirrel cage and make some noise. I would suggest removing the cabin air filter and use a vacuum (hose accessory of your home's vacuum cleaner will work) to clean out any debris. This is simple to do and worth a shot before replacing anything.

As for learning about DIY diagnostics/repair, I would buy the shop manual for your car. You can find it for $22 at automanualsource.com as a pdf. Visit this site and read the new posts on the Gen Tech help section for general problems.

That is how I started out. Before long, you will predict the responses from members and start answering questions as well. YouTube is also an excellent source for information with channels like ericthecarguy on how to do repairs as well.

Probably most important, ask questions on here (or other sites), because someone has had similar problems and can provide pointers to avoid more work. Trust me, simple repairs can quickly turned into a nightmare, so tips from experienced people will save you a lot of blood, sweat, and tears in the long run.

We are here to help out, so participate in the forum.
Thanks for the help with the filter, I'll try that soon.

Honestly, that advice helps a lot. I'm a bit apprehensive about posting and participating because I really don't know that much about my car, but I'll do my best to learn and contribute. That's the best way to learn, anyways. Thanks a lot guys.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

The passenger's dashboard undercover is held in with 3 clips in the front, and 2 pins that slide into the back. Take the undercover back off by pulling down the front of the undercover and slide it off, then examine the wire harness connected to the power transistor.

The same service bulletin regarding the blower noise also mentioned that without an undercover, the front passenger could inadvertently kick the blower motor area. In very rare cases, this might loosen the blower motor power transistor connector. The corrective action was to check the blower motor resistor connector for damage, replace any damaged parts, then install the passenger's dashboard undercover.

The A/C Wire Harness for an LX with automatic was P/N 80650-TA0-A10, if needed. The Power Transistor was P/N 79330-SNA-A01, if needed.