General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 LX Duplicate Key Stuck in Accessory Position - Can't Remove/Start

Old 01-24-2013, 10:35 PM
Default 1998 LX Duplicate Key Stuck in Accessory Position - Can't Remove/Start

Stupidly, I tried to start the car with the duplicate key (no chip) and the car (unsurprisingly) didn't start. But now the key is stuck in the ignition and can't be turned back into the unlock position.

I've tried moving the steering wheel, but it's not a problem with that. I don't think it's sticky or anything as there's a good bit of movement when I try to wiggle the key, but it's nonetheless stuck on the accessory/radio position.

I have the original key. Is there a way to start it? I tried putting the original key on the metal part of the duplicate key and around the ignition but that didn't start either.

Could it be some anti-theft thing?

Finally, if all else fails and I need to get a new ignition cylinder, would I need to reprogram the new keys?

Car: 1998 Accord LX 4cyl 5speed

Thanks in advance

Old 01-25-2013, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Press the key "further into" the lock, to turn it? Shouldn't be any kind of security feature, beyond the fact the engine didn't start.

If you need a new lock cylinder, maybe you can get a locksmith to re-key it so it uses your same keys. Then 1) keep same key for doors trunk & ignition; 2) don't need to reprogram.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Press the key "further into" the lock, to turn it? Shouldn't be any kind of security feature, beyond the fact the engine didn't start.

If you need a new lock cylinder, maybe you can get a locksmith to re-key it so it uses your same keys. Then 1) keep same key for doors trunk & ignition; 2) don't need to reprogram.
Thanks for the reply.

I tried pushing it in then turning etc, but I can't turn it to off position. I heard some people say that you can start it by touching the original key around the lock cylinder to start it, but I'm not sure where to touch. Maybe I need to take off the plastic steering column covers and reach in underneath?

Beyond that, would there be a way to start the car? It's stuck 4 miles away from my house at the moment.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

You could tape the key with the transponder chip to the other key, end to end.

Honda TSB 98-024

Old 01-25-2013, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
You could tape the key with the transponder chip to the other key, end to end.

Honda TSB 98-024
I will try it in this orientation. My copy key is all metal though, like a house door key. There is no chip on it at all.

I'll see if that and some hammer/penetrating lub works.

If I need to remove the cylinder, does the whole assembly need to come out from under the column covers or can I just pull the cylinder out from the side like on some american cars?

Old 01-25-2013, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

It's a radio signal (RFID chip) so you don't need metal-to-metal contact. Just put the proper immobilizer key right together against the one that's in the ignition, like the picture in that TSB 98-024.

That might get the engine started, but it won't get that key out of the lock cylinder.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:45 PM

Well the key trick worked to start the car. However after tapping the key with a hammer and spraying some oil into the keyhole, it still won't turn to off position. At least the car's home now.

redbull-1 and JimBlake, thanks for your help.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

Keep trying the oil, along with working the lock cylinder back & forth. Not sure if hammering will do any good, but keep doing whatever motion you can get out of the key. Hopefully that'll work the oil deeper into the lock?